£250 Compact camera

Edit My Images
No
A friend wants to buy a camera for around £250 so I guess a compact would be the thing. Any suggestions please.

You can get DSLRs and mirrorless for this price too if they're happy to buy used?

What do they want to shoot, how involved do they want to get, is image quality more important than zoom?

Rx100 for a compact

He is an ederley chap with an invalid wife so I think most of his photography would be his grandchildren, flowers and his dog. I dont think he would want second hand and probably wouldn't want to bothered with an slr because of the lenses.

Rx100 may well be too small then . How about an x30 ?

In that case, a Sony RX100 would fit the bill perfectly.

Edit:
Whoops, beaten to it. What he said!

Last edited:
Haha - the last 2 posts are brilliantly contradictory :)

The buttons on the rx100 are small. If your friend has good hands then great, if not he may struggle

Most compacts will be quite small for an elderly person to handle tbh. The X30 would be better but it's over budget as the OP says he doesn't want 2nd hand.

Another vote here for the Fuji X30, you mention you don't want second hand but I've had quite a few cameras from the Fuji Refurbished store and everyone has been like new.

You get a 1 year Fuji Warranty and the only difference is that it comes in a refurbished box with all the accessories and you get 14 days to change your mind if you don't like it.

None in stock at the moment but keep checking here and use PAYPAL12 for 7% off (you don't have to pay with paypal). http://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/fujifilm-x30-refurbished.html

Thanks everyone. I've never heard of the Fuji shop, I will check it out. Thanks once again.

I had shortlisted down to the OMD range, Sony A5000 and RX100. But once I had tried the RX100, I found it was much to small for me with arthritic fingers. A mirrorless with one lens would cover most of the things you mention above.

Back