£250 DSLR Alternative

I'm a little curious as to why you'd talk someone out of a DSLR ?

Because she doesn't want or need a dslr, she wants a camera that takes great pictures. She won't buy more lenses, she'll be disappointed with the lack of zoom, it will be in Auto mode pretty much it's whole life. She has no interest in what F numbers do but likes 'blurry' back ground and it would probably stay in the house rather than go out with her due to it's size.

Because she doesn't want or need a dslr, she wants a camera that takes great pictures. She won't buy more lenses, she'll be disappointed with the lack of zoom, it will be in Auto mode pretty much it's whole life. She has no interest in what F numbers do but likes 'blurry' back ground and it would probably stay in the house rather than go out with her due to it's size.

I would say that for straight OOC JPEG's stick to Fuji.
Fuji XQ1 at £269 or the Fuji XF1 at £129.

The Panasnic Lumix TZ60 is above the budget at £309 minus £30 cash back. But you do get 30x optical zoom.

Not sure if there are any better options. :)

As a beginner (who would like to get into photography a bit more seriously) I have found the 1100d more than enough to start my hobby.

I wanted something relatively cheap (incase I didn't want to continue with the hobby) and the 1100d fit the bill.

I know that the person looking at the new camera isn't looking to do this as a hobby but I would recommend the 1100d to anyone who wants an entry level.

I have been impressed with the results of the auto feature on the camera comparied to my basic point and shoot camera and leaves me the scope to learn the basics of photography.

I think what needs to be established is what the person will be using it for and will where. I am going on holiday to america soon and looking forward to taking some photos but I am more than aware of the size of the camera and/or bag I will be carrying and the 1100d is one of the smaller dslr's i looked at for the price.

For what most people use images for, web, a decent quality image that will look good with a 100% crop would be all the "zoom" they need, perhaps? Take your point on the rest though :)

For what most people use images for, web, a decent quality image that will look good with a 100% crop would be all the "zoom" they need, perhaps? Take your point on the rest though :)

My sister thinks cropping is something farmers do.

My sister thinks cropping is something farmers do.

Many people digitally crop phone pictures without realising what they are doing, my GF does this, and if your sister does the same maybe she may be able to crop when using a camera, if only digitally and in camera rather than when processing on a pc.

In your position I think I'd explain the drawbacks that you think a DSLR may have and see if she'll jump at something like a top end all in one compact... like a LX7. Dunno if you can digitally crop with that camera but you can get a used one for under £200 and the pictures should be good enough for most people.

Last edited:
I actually feel you're being rather hard on your sister. DSLR's work perfectly well in P mode and there is always the option to learn exposure later.

If its not too late, Argos are doing the canon sx510 bridge camera for half price at £140. Not sure how good they are but might be worth a look as another alternative.

Back