£250 to replace kit lens

Edit My Images
Yes
Looking to replace the 18-55mm kit lens that came with the 450D. The only other lens I have is the 50mm f/1.8.

Looking for a better image quality lens. Ideally, want something with a similar zoom range (or even wider if price permits), mostly for landscape-type work. I may go for the Canon 55-250mm IS as another lens at some future stage, but not right now.

£250 is max. New preferred.

Recommendations appreciated.

Are you looking at the new or second hand market?

New will be pretty restricting if your looking to spend less than £250, for any improvment on the kit lens.

Last edited:
I'd keep saving the money and buy something decent rather than compromise. The kit lens isn't too bad optically and you'd need something like the 17-40 f4 L for landscapes, or maybe the best of both with a 10-22, then a 24-70 or 24-105.

I think I'd go for a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 or Sigma 18-50mm f2.8.

These may not appear too exciting as they're the same zoom range as the kit lens but they should give a step up in image quality and will allow the use of their wider aperture and be more flexible and probably offer better IQ than the Eos 17-40mm f4 which really only makes sense on a full frame camera IMVHO.

I have been Working out this exact issue today and created a spread sheet of all the "kit equivalent lenses I can reasonably afford within the next million years.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...lctUDFnTk11UE04aTZtVHc&hl=en&authkey=CPGRopgO

The gold lines have OS/VC the green cell is the cheapest supplier (so far always one stop but they are a gray importer but that does include shipping and a VAT free promise, digital rev shipping is on top VAT included)

I am currently torn between the Tamron 18-50 f2.8 without VC and the sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 OS. Can't decide on DOF vs length.

I am currently torn between the Tamron 18-50 f2.8 without VC and the sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 OS. Can't decide on DOF vs length.

Someone else recommended the Sigma 17-70 too. Best price i've seen for that is £289.95 from here. The same web site is offering the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS for £249.95. I heard that's a good lens too?

how about the 28 - 135 IS lens they are nice and sharp

i did alot of portriats and great for walking around with , i also used this with the 18 - 55 and is great combo , im a little bit up market now but i do recomend these they have great reviews on this lens and certainly wouldnt be dissapointed if you bought one

i have one for sale £180 in the for sale section on here

Back