£250 to spend on a lens - What to get?

Name
Richard Black
Edit My Images
Yes
I have about 250 at the mo to spend on a lens.
I currently have
Nikon D50 Black
18-55mm DX 3.5-5.6G ED Kit lens
55-200mm DX 4-5.6
28-80mm AFNikkor 3.3-5.6G

I'd like to get something with a decent fstop throughout, any advice?
Cheers

i got a tamron 28-75 constant f2.8 from warehouse express for 250 a couple of months ago really pleased with it . use it on a d50 as well . depends on what focal lenth you want . dont forget the crop factor though . i also use it on a film camera as well . not sure if its worth getting as you already have the 28-80 anyway, maybe if you put your prefered style down other people can advise better

have just read your other thread about the 28-80 . ive got one and its not that bad , and as someone else said not bad for 12 quid . but if you still want to get shot of it still consider the tammy .

I'm after a 170-500mm sigma, but for 250 thats not going to happen!

I really want something that will creat good pics, esp if they're over the 18-55

To be honest £250 isn't enough to get a zoom lens that would give you noticable quality improvement on what you already have, so I think you would be wasting your money, just to get low light performance or less DoF. Remember that unless you go for the Nikkor AFS or Sigma HSM lenses your body will be driving the A/F motor and it will be noisy and slow. Also think about the future and remember that Nikkon has just entered the Full Frame market so in 5-6 years time there is likely to be a Full Frame Nikon at a reasonable price (sub £1K) and it makes sense to ensure that your main lenses are suitable for Full Frame.

With what you have I would suggest you get a nifty fifty (50mm f1.8) as that will give you a perfect low light performer & ideal portrait lens for about £75 new and put the rest away until you have about £700+ and then go searching for something that's you will notice the difference e.g. Nikkor 17-55 f2.8 DX AFS (digital only), or even looking for a S/H Nikkor 28-70mm f2.8 that's just been replaced by the 24-70mm f2.8 and is suitable for FF.

Alterntatively you can expand your range and get the Sigma 10-20mm super wide angle but that's just outside your ideal price range at about £290

Cheers Simon, I'll have a think and a save i think!

Or even the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8 - although not throughout. Lovely lens - v.good reviews and very sharp. Saving for one myself!!!!

Anth

Ordered! Woooo

I think you are probably the first person I have ever come across who has 4 lenses with every single one of them covering the same focal length (55mm)!!!

I think you are probably the first person I have ever come across who has 4 lenses with every single one of them covering the same focal length (55mm)!!!

I'm replacing the normal stuff though, so i won't have those lens any more.

Thought about selling them first before getting the new lens? Ok, it will mean going without photography for a little while, but if the extra cash helps towards a better lens, then I'd say it's worth it! :)

Yeh i thought about it, but i also thought if i buy a d200/d300 in the new year, i can give this D50 to the g/f with the old lens

Back