£300-£400 for a new DSLR. Which one?

Edit My Images
No
A friend of mine wants to buy her hubby a DSLR. She's asked me for advice i.e which camera to buy.

When I started out, I picked Canon - but could quite easily have bought Nikon. So, for £400, what DSLR would you buy? It must have a lens.

Canon - 1000D?
Nikon - ?
Sony - ?

A little bit more detail. Hubby had a film SLR in the past. He has no remaining kit so he is not going to be tied to any particular brand.

Thoughts?

i bought a sony a390, i had no affiliation to a particular brand so i went with what i liked at the time. if i'd thought more about it i would have gone with one of the big two but the in body stability and flip out live-view screen won it for me at the time, it seemed like i was getting more for my money

Choice is a little limited. How about software and a card reader as well?

canon have a christmas cashback at the moment. You could get a Canon 500D and 18-55 lens for £479. That's got video as well.

It would be better to ask her husband what he wants, and go to a dealer with him so that he can handle different models.

Canon DSLRs come with software which is certainly good enough to be going on with, and card readers cost next to nothing.

It would be better to ask her husband what he wants, and go to a dealer with him so that he can handle different models.

Canon DSLRs come with software which is certainly good enough to be going on with, and card readers cost next to nothing.

absolutly 100% agree with this, the choise of camera is a totally personal thing, and going to the shop with her husband to look at, hold and feel, see what the best deals are at present, and being Xmas time there will be some good deals out there as they want your business this time of year.

absolutly 100% agree with this, the choise of camera is a totally personal thing, and going to the shop with her husband to look at, hold and feel, see what the best deals are at present, and being Xmas time there will be some good deals out there as they want your business this time of year.

I don't disagree but she wants to surprise him.

I don't disagree but she wants to surprise him.

Lacy undies whilst holding an invite to a camera shop?

What model film camera did he have before, he may have preferences or got used to how one feels, i.e. it's often said Nikon/Canon feel different.

If she does want to surprise him then make sure the store knows that he may be back to change it for another one and that is part of the deal as it is a gift. Most decent stores would offer to do this.

If he had a film camera before then I'd say go for that brand if they do dslrs now. He would have chosen if he'd like the way it was so I'd go for whatever is in budget from them.

Made me laugh. I asked him what film camera he used to have.

"Hmmmmm. Canon, no - ummmmmm - can't recall"

I'm thinking Canon might be best as he could borrow some bits off me I'd necessary.

I finally got round to emailing her my advice. Her reply was along the lines of -

"Thanks, I went for a Sony

She was obviously in a hurry, Xmas is only a WHOLE MONTH away!! :)

That reminds me.... better start thinking about Crimbo presents.

Thanks for the help people.

Back