£300 bridge/compact?

Name
charlie robinson
Edit My Images
No
What would you guys suggest?

I'm after something smaller than my 40d, decent quality, rugged and affordable, WITH manual control (shutter and aperture priority)

budget of £300 could be stretched but not by a great deal, £400 limit

it's to be stuffed into a small hard case and left in my tractor 24/7, so will need in-car/12v charger ideally. shooting landscapes, snap shots and anything rural i point it at!

Any help and details of users experiences greatly appreciated, i simply haven't the space for a dslr and zoom in the cab again!

Regards
Charlie

Canon S90?

Or hang on that doesn't have full manual I think.... ok, if not that, Canon G11

I have been looking at the new Fuji hs10 its at the very top of your budget but the read ups on it tick a very lot of boxes for me
Bob

A Canon G11, or even better if not shooting in low light the G10 (used I guess) which has a larger Lcd than the G11 and it doesn't flop around!!!fixed. We use both for training and I love 'em especially the G10.

Or grab a panasonic G1, the last few are £370 or so with cashback, larger sensor enables blurry backgrounds - normally impossible with compact - and viewfinder is great on dull days. Not massively rugged but keep it in a tupperware and It'll be fine. The 14-45mm zoom is a superb optic.

John www.phototuition.net

thanks for the comments so far folks, anyone got hands on experience of the g10 or g11?

what's built quailty like, how much performance difference will i notice from my 40d or even my old 20d?

I have a G11.... image wise, its cracking. Full SLR style control of the exposure.

Negatives are the small sensor but only for narrow DOF, its high ISO is very good indeed. Also the FPS is quite poor, but shutter lag is almost SLR quick.

Strangely enough I have just ordered a Fuji HS10, the spec is tremendous for the price and is very DSLR like in operation. Warehouse Express are doing it for £375 at the moment but the only downside is that it isn't being released for another week or so yet!

Agree with Desantnik, G11 is lovely and beautifully built though possibly not quite as well as G10 (G11 back half is plastic - looks like metal but it is plastic). And as D said FPS is slow and just about everything else is a lot slower than DSLR. Try extensively before you buy!!

John www.phototuition.net

Until recently I owned a Panasonic FZ28. Fantastic camera - compact, easy to use, full manual control available, does RAW and zoom of 28-486mm.

Has now been replaced by FZ38. Highly recommended!

right, got 4 models to look/think about- g10, g11, FZ38 and HS10

Shame i've just bought a sigma 100-300 f/4, whoopsie! ha

Cheers folks, helpfull as ever
Charlie

Back