£300 Standard Zoom or £90 Prime?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys

I'm looking to get a new lens for my 450d. I currently have the kit lens, the 18-55 IS and a Tamron 70-300.

It'll be used mostly for low light stuff, gigs and portraits/glamour.

I didn't know if i should get rid of my 18-55 IS and replace it with a Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II IF or keep my kit lens and buy the EF 50mm f/1.8

I'm in no way professional, just a hobbyist so obviously i'd rather spend £90 than £300 but if the Tamron is going to wield much better results than my kit lens + prime then i'll consider going for that.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

I'd get a nifty 50 first, then upgrade the kit lens when you get the cash.

Oh, and don't pay £90, look around for a 2nd hand one on here for £60-£70 as there's usually somebody selling!! :D.

Welcome btw!! :)

Thanks for the quick responses! I did find a new one for £60 including shipping, in the uk on Ebay. unfortunately i just missed it :(

How bad is the construction and mount on the 50mm? All the reviews seem to slate it, but all forums etc. seem to love the lens despite this.

:)

Thanks for the quick responses! I did find a new one for £60 including shipping, in the uk on Ebay. unfortunately i just missed it :(

How bad is the construction and mount on the 50mm? All the reviews seem to slate it, but all forums etc. seem to love the lens despite this.

:)

Cheap & plastic but to be expected at the price - It has no affect on the image quality though which is why people love it ... Paul

Nifty 50 all day long

Yep, it's plasticky and the AF noise would scare off a flock of angry seagulls, but it's sharp as tack when stepped down a stop or two!! :D

Just picked one up from the local shop :)
Will be taking it out this evening
Thanks for the recommendations

Back