£300 to spend... what to spend it on? (camera)

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, a friend at work is looking to replace his Kodak z700 camera with something a little more meaty.

He wants:

SLR-Like (Not SLR as his budget wont allow for extra lenses)
6mp or higher
creative controls i.e. aperture and shutter priority and full manual.
IS would be nice but a decent ISO range is good too
good low light performance
[edit]also wants a long zoom length[/edit]

I think that's all...

Can you guys help?

Oh, he doesn't mind second hand as long as the condition is good.

Have a look on ebay for a Fuji s7000 or if he can get one the s9500 might be more than £300

I would have recommended a Minolta A2 but their future is a bit orang...erm...uncertain just now.

Make an offer on the 350d thats for sale in the classifieds - its at £380 at the moment.

he doesnt want SLR as he cant afford extra lenses.

he is wanting as long a focal length as he can get for his money and a kit lens just wont offer him the versatility that he needs

I had a powershot G6 for a while and found it to be a cracking camera. Full manual controls if you want as well as aperture and program etc. Decent fast lens too. Sold mine on ebay for £400 after buying it 9 months previous for £369. You can pick up a new one now for £350 ish or less.

my friend has a sonyDSC-H1 5 megapixel superzoom(480mm). its got image anti-shake.he took it to prague at new year because i couldnt take all my gear at the time and it performed well. one great thing about it is, when your change the f-stop and iso you see the changes on the LCD which is useful for getting the shot right first time, and its a good learning tool as well

ps i belive the H2 has just come out (6 megapixel) warehouseexpress has it for £299 worth a look

will pass that on, thanks

I think he will find all of those atributes in ad-slt like camera save for one. Low light performance. Due to the constrictions created by the sensor size, they all tend to be quite noisy in low light, but nothing a bit of work with neat-image or noise ninja won't sort out.

The fuji 9500 is supposed to have a good high iso, but as a result of in camera NR the results can be a touch soft.

BTW, My panasonic fz30 is likely to be up for sale at the end of next week. It's only 6months old, has the lovely sharp leica lens, IS, 35-432mm zoom, plus the ability to push that to 600 odd by cutting down to 5mp. It's in tip-top condition, only about 600 shots been through it and It's gonna be around £300 notes ;)

If you want to see some examples of what it's capable of then check out my gallery link below!

I will let him know

we are going to the superbikes at Donnington on the 8th/9th April and I think he wants one before then

Back