£350 to spend on camera, but which one?

M

Mallrat

Hi,

Can anyone recommend me a camera for £350. It will be used for taking photos at trade shows and events for a website and also photos of bands and more artistic stuff.

I have looked at the Fuji Finepix S7000 and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 but an unsure on which is best or if there are better out there in my price range.

Any help is appreciated.

I would say you would be best off going to £400 and trying to find a 300D lens kit. My local camera shop had one in the other day for £399 :)

It will be far better, especially inportant for shooting bands is the far less noise at high ISO. The 300D will be able to shoot at ISO1600 with probably less noise than the above cameras at ISO400

Gregeff said:
I would say you would be best off going to £400 and trying to find a 300D lens kit. My local camera shop had one in the other day for £399 :)

It will be far better, especially inportant for shooting bands is the far less noise at high ISO. The 300D will be able to shoot at ISO1600 with probably less noise than the above cameras at ISO400

I'd definately stretch to £400 if I could find a 300D lens kit, but alls I can find is the 300D body only for £410 at the cheapest. Don't suppose your local shop still has some and if so do you have contact details for them or do you know anywhere likely to have a good deal on one.

My vote goes to the FZ20 above the 300D.

With the 300D, you will only have a 55mm maximum zoom, which is not much at all, to be honest..

And lenses for SLRs aren't always cheap..

If, on the other hand, you don't need much zoom and can afford to add lenses/flashes/filters etc, then go for the SLR...

Hope that helps :)
Chez

Chez said:
My vote goes to the FZ20 above the 300D.

With the 300D, you will only have a 55mm maximum zoom, which is not much at all, to be honest..

And lenses for SLRs aren't always cheap..

If, on the other hand, you don't need much zoom and can afford to add lenses/flashes/filters etc, then go for the SLR...

Hope that helps :)
Chez
Agreed 100%.

I think Gregeff's advice was right on the money to be honest. Compact digital zoom cameras are an attractive proposition but they do suffer from image noise at low light levels compared to modern DSLR's

These are the CONS from the review of the Z5 on Digital Camera Review - they haven't reviewed the Z20 yet.

Conclusion - Cons

* Visible noise at even low (100) ISO settings
* ISO 320 setting virtually unusable

* Images look a bit soft, need sharpening in post-processing
* Images can be over-contrasty - losing highlight/shadow detail in bright conditions
* Occasional mild color casts
* Poor auto white balance in artificial light
* Mild under exposure
* Lens a bit slow (F4.5) at the long end of the zoom
* Some focus problems in low light at the tele end of the zoom
* No autofocus illuminator

Most of these criticisms aren't all that important - all cameras come in for some criticism whatever you pay - but the ones I've put in bold are the ones you should be concerned about if you intend to shoot bands in low light.

The Z20 looks a great little camera but it wont perform like a DSLR in low light. As long as you're aware of that shortcoming that's fine. Buying a DSLR does commit you to adding other lenses at some stage but you can do that as and when funds permit.

The prices you can currently pick up 300D's for is just nuts and it's something you really should think about. You're certain to go the DSLR route anyway as your interest grows. :wink:

Back