£500 canon kit replacement

See if you can pick up a Canon 28-70 f2.8 L second hand.

I have one and it is a truly awesome lens - might be that these have just about dropped into your price bracket now ... think I paid in the region of £750 about 4 yrs ago for mine, used, and there are more 24-70s knocking about now which should have lowered the price of the older lens a little more.

I'm going to get the new Sigma 17-70mm OS as soon as funds allow to replace my Canon 17-85, hoping it's better :) Wouldn't this be more suitable for you also?

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-sigma-17-70mm-f2-8-4-dc-macro-os-hsm-lens-canon-fit/p1518705

Like Slimbert says, people speak highly of the Tamron

Honestly Ed, I wouldn't bother! :shake: The 17-70mm OS has a variable maximum aperture which can be a pain, and OS at those focal lengths probably won't be needed the majority of the time....

Canon 17-55mm is definitely the one to have, but I don't think the Tamron is that far behind, especially when you consider the price. It's awesome for the money! (y)

Honestly Ed, I wouldn't bother! :shake: The 17-70mm OS has a variable maximum aperture which can be a pain, and OS at those focal lengths probably won't be needed the majority of the time....

Canon 17-55mm is definitely the one to have, but I don't think the Tamron is that far behind, especially when you consider the price. It's awesome for the money! (y)

Sorry to hijack thread.....

Thanks for the tip Damien, I had high hopes for the Sigma as a few reviews (Not many out there yet) said it was superior to the Canon 17-85mm that I already have?

Maybe I need to take a better look at the Tamron :) I like the Canon 17-55mm, but it's around £800 at WEX that's a heck of alot of wonga for me :eek:

I looked at some of these lenses for my 40D. In the end I went with the canon 24-105L and 10-22, both great lenses

My dad has just bought the Sigma 17-70 OS HSM and he really likes it. He also has the non OS version and on the face if it he says that when looking at images from both there's no difference in IQ/Sharpness but zoomed in 100% the OS version is sharper where the OS has done it's job.

I was going to get the OS version but after what's been said i don't know. I did have the Non VC version of the Tamron a year or so ago and i wasn't that impressed with it but I have seen images from the VC version and they look awesome! May have to get the Tamron unless a 24-70 L turns up for £350..... which I doubt!

Sorry to hijack thread.....

Thanks for the tip Damien, I had high hopes for the Sigma as a few reviews (Not many out there yet) said it was superior to the Canon 17-85mm that I already have?

Maybe I need to take a better look at the Tamron :) I like the Canon 17-55mm, but it's around £800 at WEX that's a heck of alot of wonga for me :eek:

No thread hijack, I think all that's being said will interst the OP! (y)

Yeah £800 is quite a lot for an EF-S lens, but it is the best EF-S in that focal range group IMHO....

The 17-85mm is known to be quite soft, plus the maximum aperture let's it down. A few people get along with it, but most end up selling it on or leaving it in the kit bag most of the time. I've never owned one, but I've noticed quite a few people moan about it....

The Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, and the Sigma 18-50mm EX f2.8 are the ones to go for IMO, both are extremely good value!

Figured it can't hurt to post these! :shrug:

Not the best of examples but they are what I'm working on at the moment. This is my Tamron at f2.8, 50mm, handheld, indoors, about 20-25cm away from the subject (with my very poor technique thrown in for good measure!)....!!

Completely uncropped original:

IMG_3236.jpg

Roughly a 110% crop of that image:

IMG_3236-2.jpg

Obviously the DOF is extremely shallow at that distance (which was deliberate btw!), but I think that it shows how sharp the Tamron can be even in my shaky hands....

all posts are realy helpfull thanks for the quick replies.
i dont know what to do now haha. i mainly shoot at brands hatch for motorsport with a sigma 70-200 2.8.
but i would like to try and learn more about some arty stuff and maybe try some of cars etc.

thanks for all the advice

jamie

just a quick post heres what its come down to then. i would idealy like to buy new as its a tad safer when spending that money

tamron 17-50

not sure what this is like
sigma 17-70mm

sigma 18-50mm

all of these are cheaper than i expected

there isnt much on ebay. plus with Warehouse Express theres the 4% cashback **** might help

bought the tamron 17-50mm on amazon this week for 315pounds should be with me next week.

thanksd for the help

I was about to tell you to buy the tamron :D

haha thanks

i dont use the kit lens much as i mainly shoot motorsport but want to try other things and now i have a half decent kit of

40D, sigma 70-200mm f2.8, and soon Tamron 17-50mm f2.8
and speedlight 430EXii

Back