£500 for new lens - what would you choose?

Name
Gerry
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a canon 40d camera and looking to invest in new lens.

I will be using mainly for portraits but would also like a lens that could be used for general photos and occasional landscape.

Any ideas?

I have a few that I was thinking of trading in and investing in 1/2 really good ones.
I have a canon efs 17-85mm, sigma 10-20mm and a sigma 18-200.

None of them seem to be really sharp - that's why I thought I would change:)

What about a Sigma prime? 30/50/85mm, think they are all f1.4

Canon 17-55 2.8 IS (used just over £500).

Or Tamron 17-55 2.8 Non VC + 50mm Prime (either 1.8 or 1.4 depending on how much you want to spend).

15-85 BRILLIANT sharp general walkabout (IS is great, but min aperture is quite small if you want very narrow DoF or fast shutters to freeze motion in low light). Just seen Ms arad85s holiday photos and they're great with this lens
One of the 17-50/55 2.8s (if you want narrow DoF)
Primes if you want even narrower DoF for portraits.

Personally, I'd keep the 10-20 (had one on a 40D for a couple of years and loved it) then maybe get a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 (used) for a walkabout (one for sale here on TP for £230 which is an ok price) and then treat myself to a Canon 200f2.8L II which you can get for about £400ish, again used.

Just about on budget and you will have three cracking lenses.

Just my 2p worth.

Gary

Last edited:
Personally, I'd keep the 10-20 (had one on a 40D for a couple of years and loved it) then maybe get a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 (used) for a walkabout (one for sale here on TP for £230 which is an ok price) and then treat myself to a Canon 200f2.8L II which you can get for about £400ish, again used.

Just about on budget and you will have three cracking lenses.

Just my 2p worth.

Gary

+1.. just add the cheap 50mm F1.8, its a great portrait lens for the money and pretty sharp as well.

Thinking of canon17-55- good idea? Thanks for all suggestions :)

Thinking of canon17-55- good idea? Thanks for all suggestions :)

Search/read threads in this sections, tons about lens upgrades and all the lenses recomended here too.

Not a easy question to answer 'good idea' but generally yes it is one of the best lenses in that range and at that budget point.

Back