£500-ish Nikon for Sigma EX DG Macro 50mm F2.8 (AF)?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Can someone suggest a camera body that will give AF-compatibility with my Sigma EX (for Nikon AF-D) F2.8 DG Macro lens?

I've tried a D5500, but the AF doesn't work and (I'm not sure if this is normal or not) the shutter mechanism seems pretty vicious, i.e. it emits a loud clunk (about the loudest shutter I've heard) and makes the camera jump unless you brace it against something (I believe I'd need a pretty high-quality tripod to tame its shutter backlash - my current one certainly doesn't).

The camera is for tripod-based product photos, typically in a light cube. I'm open-minded regarding secondhand cameras. Movie capability is essential (the 5500 seems to do this well).

Thanks in advance.

Thanks. Will the 7100 (or 7200) give me AF compatibility?

edit - just read that the 7200 is supposed to work with any AF lens made since 1986, so I should be ok there.

Last edited:
D7100 will do all you ask and is so much better than the D7000.

Thanks - much appreciated.

Considering I'm using it just for indoor product shots, on a tripod, I'm not convinced that it will make any difference whether I get a 7100 or 7200. The 7200 might be a little easier to sell on at a later date as it's newer, but I'm planning to keep it for a while, so that's not a factor.

Unless I get a compelling reason to not buy a 7100 that's the way I will go.

Back