£500 to spend on my backup solution

MindofMel

Suspended / Banned
Name
Mel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I have been reading about drobos and g-drives and im lost as to which way to go with my backup for photos and other media.

I currently have a Macbook with 250GB. 4GB RAM (Firewire 400) and 2TB HD's which are close to full

For £500 can anyone recommend a setup for photo and movie storage..

okay..

if it were me id look at the 4 bay offerings from synology and fill it with as many samsung 2tb drives as you can with the change. pop all of your data on there and then run your existing 2tb units as a backup 2nd copy (obviously youll need another one of those too soon).

then you have 4x 2TB in the synology (say 6tb in raid5 approx) and you also have the good idea of the 2nd physical copy on your current external drives.

synology also do 5 bay units but thats quite a jump in cost.

http://www.synology.com/

youve got the DS410, DS411+, DS411J.

its the same sort of thing as a drobo yes. but never been a big fan of the drobo personally, they always used to have slow network issues for one. then they also had a spate of failure issues. yeah okay the drobo has its own version of RAID that lets you lose more than 1 drive but how often will you let your critical storage get to that state.

synology units appear to be some of the fastest devices in class, some are upgradable in terms of memory and have UPS support, USB/Esata attached drives and printer server capability etc on some units, tonnes of useful server apps for them too. they just offer much much more for the cash.

samsung drives for reliability, speed and compatibility in my experience.

Last edited:
Back