£500ish Budget - Canon/Nikon SLR - Advice Needed!

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
No
Hey Guys,

I have been a member of this forum now for sometime and I am really glad that I joined. It has been invaluable with all the advice I have received - I hope also that I have helped others!

Anyway to the point .... I have been photographing for around 4 years (started when I was 18, I bought a Nikon D50 out of my first months wages from work!) My latest camera was a Canon 450D (yes I made the transition from Nikon to Canon!) however around a year or so ago I reluctantly had to sell it with Christmas coming up and other expenses. Thankfully I am now financially sound and back in the position where I can at long last (it's been too long!) buy an SLR camera back. The problem is that I have been using a basic compact digital camera for the last year and thus have lost touch completely with the SLR market.

I have set a budget of £500 however can go to £650 if it's going to be worth it.

I want to photograph mainly sports (horse racing, tennis), garden birds and other Wildlife generally. I am looking to buy a camera that comes with a 18-55mm type of lens as a starter before buying another lens in the not too distant future (next month).

I am looking at the Canon 500D - however I see the newer 550D is out - for the extra £150 is it worth it?

I have missed my digital photography so much so cannot wait to get back into it.

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Many Thanks for your time,

Cheers, Rob

look at the D90? or the D5000, both nikon and both good. Im not a canon user sorry

Check out MPB top right of this page for used Nikon and Canon gear, they have loads of stack that can change daily and you get a warrenty.

Used D90 with an 18-70mm for your budget.

I'd consider:

Canon 30D
Canon 40D

Nikon D90
Nikon D200

They are all faster and have more external controls than the current entry level cameras you could get for the same price, though the technology might be older I think better AF and faster frame rates would make up for this.
As for whether to go canon or nikon. . . up to you. There honestly won't be any large difference in performance, the D90 has slightly better ISO performance, maybe 1/3 of a stop, but it has a plastic body.
You've used both canon and nikon in the past, which did you get along with better? Bare in mind though, a 30 or 40D will have a larger grip and more external controls than your 450D.
And if you go canon, make sure that if you buy a 18-55mm, it's the IS model, it's much better optically than the old 'bottle bottom' kit lens.

It's worth considering what lens you'd get when you buy another one. Both brands make very reasonable 70-300 lenses (though AVOID the canon 75-300mm), also nikon makes a good 55-200 and canon make a good 55-250mm. Worth baring in mind that canon also make an affordable 70-200mm f/4L, which is superb value picked up second hand.

Either way, have fun using your new DSLR whenever you get it, and whatever it be.

Last edited:
I don't know too much about Nikon lenses, but if you fancy a canon and don't mind 2nd hand, then the post above is spot on. You won't get much use out of a kit lens for what you want to shoot.

Personally, i'd go for a decent 2nd hand set up with the canon 70-200mm L f4 (or possibly a non marque 70-200mm f2.8 - make sure you physically check it if you go this route) and the best xxD body you can find. You may be able to squeeze a 40D if you each hard enough, otherwise a 20D will come well within budget.

If you must go new, a 500d with the 55-250mm will be at the upper end of your budget, or there is always similar offers on various canon/nikon/sony + tamron lens setups.

Best quality would be the 2nd hand option though

Back