£550 budget Sigma 70-200 2.8 mk2 & TC Vs Bigma (non OS)

Name
Jonny
Edit My Images
No
The choice I'm trying to make for motorsports use and airshows, budget is fixed so really nice 300/400 L stuff is out of the question.

Which would you go for?

IMO Sigma 70-200mm with a 1.4x (wouldn't bother with 2x) isn't really long enough for airshows. Bigma isn't really fast enough for most motorsport.

£550 would just about get you a nice used Sigma 100-300mm f4 and 1.4x teleconverter.

That was a lens I was considering but can't find one in budget. Reason for the Bigma at all was I figured, with a TC most lens' will be an f5.6 and the Bigma is f5.6 to 416mm anyway. Also, max distance from the action is around 30ft for me as its mostly rallying and motorcycle road racing I shoot, if it is a track, our tracks give much closer access over in Northern Ireland as they are quite small.

Should Also have mentioned, the Bigma is £400 boxed and mint.

Last edited:
Mike, just wondering why you advise against the 2 x TC with a f/2.8, but then recommend a 1.4 x TC with a f/4?

Is it a particular issue you have with 2 x TCs? Just curious, as on paper it's much of a muchness. As I say, just curious, having never been a big user of TCs.

The choice I'm trying to make for motorsports use and airshows, budget is fixed so really nice 300/400 L stuff is out of the question.

Which would you go for?

Hi Jonny

You might find a Canon 300 F4 L (Non IS) in your budget - it is getting on a bit now, but is a cracker of a lens and would take a 1.4 TC as well...

I've the 300F4 lens and have had some cracking shots with it

IMG_0058-plane.jpg

IMG_0130-plane.jpg

Hope this is of help...

Mike, just wondering why you advise against the 2 x TC with a f/2.8, but then recommend a 1.4 x TC with a f/4?

Is it a particular issue you have with 2 x TCs? Just curious, as on paper it's much of a muchness. As I say, just curious, having never been a big user of TCs.

2x converters affect both AF speed and IQ more than a 1.4x. The 2x reduces my Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 af speed to a crawl whereas I can happily use the 1.4x on the same lens and the 100-300mm f4 with hardly noticeable speed loss. With AF speed being important for both motorsport and airshows I would think it's a major concern when choosing a lens.

The only lens I use a 2x converter on is my Pentax 300mm f2.8. fast primes take them much better than zooms.

I have used my 50-500mm for a lot of motorsport and never had a problem with the af speed what so ever. Mine is the os version. And as mike says the 70-200mm doesn't take a 2x well.

Suppose it depends on the type of motorsport .. I am going to the Bournemouth rally next weekend which is in the forest surrounded by trees. I would imagine the Bigma would be next to useless with the light available there so will be taking the 70-200mm f2.8

When I go to airshows though the Bigma is the lens I always grab.

Last edited:
2x converters affect both AF speed and IQ more than a 1.4x. The 2x reduces my Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 af speed to a crawl whereas I can happily use the 1.4x on the same lens and the 100-300mm f4 with hardly noticeable speed loss. With AF speed being important for both motorsport and airshows I would think it's a major concern when choosing a lens.

The only lens I use a 2x converter on is my Pentax 300mm f2.8. fast primes take them much better than zooms.

Thanks for that, answered my questions. As I said, not got much experience in TCs.

Thanks for all the comments, took a punt on the 50-500, it's mint, boxed and even if I don't like it I won't loose money selling it on. My logic (such as it is) reasoned that I got good results last year with a borrowed 400mm f5.6 L, so with the Sigma being f5.6 up to 416mm light wise it should be very similar. So we shall see....

Fantastic flight shots Andyred, where was that if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:
I think you made the right choice, Jonny.

You won't get 400 L image quality, but keep your shutter speed high, give yourself time to develop good long lens technique & you'll get shots to keep you happy. (y)

It's a shame your budget is so fixed or you could go for one of these http://panamoz.com/index.php/lens/s...m-for-canon-digital-and-film-slr-cameras.html It's an excellent length, has decent AF speed and OS for stability. I've used it for BIF and to get planes shooting around Waddington airbase and the IQ is very good for the price. Not quite as good IQ as my Canon 100-400 L but it was over £400 cheaper.
There is also this http://panamoz.com/index.php/lens/s...ns-for-sony-digital-and-film-slr-cameras.html which is nearer your budget but gives the reach you're after. Not used one myself but I'm sure it'll give you some good results as well.

Back