1/2 a Butterfly

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34016

flew away before I got a full sized image :help:

Butterfly1.jpg

Les :LOL::LOL:

Is that taken with the 105 ex? How close were you and did you have to crop? Been wondering about having a crack at some bugs, bees or other critters.

Nice find Les, Great shot! Looks like you got really close.
It looks like that orange-tip butterfly, I saw one in the garden the other day. First time I've seen one, apparently they're not too common in Scotland (where I am) so that's probably why. :) I was exactly the same, only got a shot of half of him! It flew away soon after.

Is that taken with the 105 ex? How close were you and did you have to crop? Been wondering about having a crack at some bugs, bees or other critters.

Just a Sigma 105mm no crop and He was around 1ft from the end of the lens
shot using a ring flash hand held

f11 @ 1/125th sec

Les (y)

Cheers Andrew (y)

Its all down to good tuition :help:

Les :D

The lighting looks very harsh and you've lost all the detail in the wing - try and diffuse your flash

good point- but how do I diffuse a ring flash???

Les :help:

I have been considering a ring flash for macro, but then I see your question about diffusing it...hmmm.
At present I use either one, or two, flashguns diffused with bits of milk carton plastic. Works a treat, but is heavy...don't know what the options are!

As for the butterfly, I tried to get some of these in the wild...very tricky...very skittish. I think it's a case of waiting till they land on the flower you are already focused on. :)

I got one the other day, but it took a six mile walk and lots of attempts to get just one useable shot. :)

I can adjust the amount of flash using the camera's on board Exposure compensation + or - 2 stops

I just didnt have time in this instance - Im looking now at buying an everyday flash gun thats adjustable - Ring Flash is great in a controlled environment, not so good for random insect shots in my opinion :shrug:

Les (y)

I've got a ring flash. I always found it put far too much light on the subject. The light is diffuse, there just too flipping much of it! It needs a flash power setting on it to reduce it to about 1/4 I reckon. Even setting the camera to fill flash doesn't seem to reduce the power. With the normal on camera flash I normally have it at -7 to reduce the power a bit.

What could be done is to have the flash off camera and a few feet away. Would give you the fill but not be quite so over powering. Tricky to do but if the flash has slave mode then it should be possible with the wireless flash mode sony has. I'd guess it would be better to use a scrim of some kind and hide the flash behind that rather than having it on the lens but then you'd need a lead and to be an octopus.

I've got a ring flash. I always found it put far too much light on the subject. The light is diffuse, there just too flipping much of it! It needs a flash power setting on it to reduce it to about 1/4 I reckon. Even setting the camera to fill flash doesn't seem to reduce the power. With the normal on camera flash I normally have it at -7 to reduce the power a bit.

What could be done is to have the flash off camera and a few feet away. Would give you the fill but not be quite so over powering. Tricky to do but if the flash has slave mode then it should be possible with the wireless flash mode sony has. I'd guess it would be better to use a scrim of some kind and hide the flash behind that rather than having it on the lens but then you'd need a lead and to be an octopus.

Interesting ideas :bonk:

I'll just be buying a Sony Dedicated flash-( £70 -£80) that I can use off camera- as they have the ability to be controlled and diffused as required

The ring flash has its uses as I said, but in a controlled environment, such as my lounge lol

Les :cool:

Thanks Dave- youre right of course - one shot and he was off :eek:

Les :D

Back