1.4 mk2 or mk3 extender (Canon)

Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
As the title says, anyone know if the new mk3 really lives up to the blurb with say a year old 70/200 f4 IS L lens. Is it worth the extra money.
I'd like extra reach than my 70/200 gives, occasionally, but dont fancy the extra weight/expense/room in kit bag that either a 70/300 or a 100/400 would provide, so thinking about an extender (I appreciate its only going to give me 280mm on my current lens) and wondering if its worth going for the mk3 over the mk2?

Cheers
Matt

Last edited:
The new MkIII tc's will only be at there best with one of the new super teles according to Canon (300/2.8, 400/2.8, 500/4 and 600/4). There are a few reviews of the MkIII tc's with existing lenses starting to appear and it looks like that IQ is not markedly better than the MkII's on these lenses- time will tell.

According to this thread on Fred Mirandas site it looks to make a bit of difference on a 300 f/2.8 IS (the original).

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/971114

I am seriously considering selling my 2x MkII in favour of the 2x MkIII.

I have also seen a thread recently of the MkIII on the 70-200 MkII which was impressive.... Mmmmmm!

The 1.4 mk II was meant to be pretty good it was the x2 that was meant to degrade image quality more......might be worth renting them both, the mk IIs about a £10 a day at fixation which is in london but you may find someone nearer you

Back