1 day portrait course

Name
Anna
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, i've just done a 1 day portrait course (hence the title!), it was just £44 and as it was only for a day my expectations were fairly low...i was just looking for a day out and maybe to pick up a few tips.

However, i've got to say i was pleasantly surprised, the tutor was great and full of helpful hints (plus he kept checking our photos to actually see how we were doing) did loads of practise did indoors / outdoors / high key and low key.

All this plus lunch for £44! I'd recommend it to anyone who is familiar with their SLR but who would like to start improving their portraits - it was at Burton Manor, Burton in Cheshire.

Let me now what you think.

(P.S. none of the models are professional)

20081122_1718small.jpg
[/IMG]

20081122_1770small.jpg

20081122_1872bsmall.jpg

anna

well done, arrange a day out with some other TP members, i did not long ago to whitby, what fun we had.

I'd love to do a day like that. Will have to check if there is something in my area.

May I ask what the tutor taught you?

Sure... i suppose its fairly basic stuff but it was great to just get a chance to practise while someone was there to evaluate and give you pointers. Of course its always nice to spend time with people with common interests to.

In no particular order...

Finding locations
Choosing backgrounds
identifying what is good / flattering light (also shooting i poor light and against the light)
Composition
How to ake the subject appear powerful or submissive etc
Portrait or landscape
Building rapport with subject
Basic studio photography - high key and low key
Action shots

Before anyone points it out i know i have not posted examples of all of these!:LOL:

It was quite nicely paced too. Quick enough to do lots of bits but with enough time to practise each bit.

I've looked at this kind of thing before, but could never really make my mind up if it was worthwhile. Do you think it has made much difference to your portrait photography? Has it made any difference to how you view any portraits you shot before the course?

Great idea....let me get a bit more practise in first!!!:LOL:

dont worry about anything like that!!, its a chance to meet other people with the same hobby. between us we displayed about 10 pics. TBH myself and NEO2810 spent most of the day in the pub watching the match, lol

I guess time will tell! I think it has helped me think before i shoot....and remember it was £44, hardly a huge investment decision!;)

On the other had my night school course i'm doing is proving to be frustratingly slow...we learn 1 photoshop technique a week!!!!! arrgggghh when do we do the photography????????:bang:

Sure... i suppose its fairly basic stuff but it was great to just get a chance to practise while someone was there to evaluate and give you pointers. Of course its always nice to spend time with people with common interests to.

In no particular order...

Finding locations
Choosing backgrounds
identifying what is good / flattering light (also shooting i poor light and against the light)
Composition
How to ake the subject appear powerful or submissive etc
Portrait or landscape
Building rapport with subject
Basic studio photography - high key and low key
Action shots

Before anyone points it out i know i have not posted examples of all of these!:LOL:

It was quite nicely paced too. Quick enough to do lots of bits but with enough time to practise each bit.

Sounds well worth the money mate, I really like your last image.

The photo of Anna is very good..... A lovely photo.

Jenny.

:thinking: Er, I think 'Anna' is annao's signature and not the name of the 'model'? :)

I love the photos by the way. The subjects all looked very relaxed.....which is half the battle (y)

Also, it sounds like you had a great day and that it was money well spent :)

Sounds like a really worth while course, its something i would be very interested in doing, as they are all something i need to learn more about.

Shame its about 4hours away from me really.

Is there a website so I can get all the details, it's something we would definitely be interested in?

:thinking: Er, I think 'Anna' is annao's signature and not the name of the 'model'? :)

I love the photos by the way. The subjects all looked very relaxed.....which is half the battle (y)

Also, it sounds like you had a great day and that it was money well spent :)

Yes:LOL::LOL: I'm Anna... i knew who Jenny meant though, my fault for confusing everyone!

and thanks for your comments

Last edited:
Back