1 Ds battery help-urgent!!

George

Chasseur Haggis extraordinaire
Edit My Images
Yes
My battery has suddenly virtually packed in and sadly I am away from home this week.

Can anyone tell me a good shop from where to purchase a spare as I need it for a shoot in the Lakes next Fri/sat and won't be home. The spares I had from 7Day shop were faulty and I hadn't got them replaced.
I am in the W London area tomorrow(Mon) and Tues am, then Leicester area on Wed/Thurs. I really don't want to pay Canon price, but can't rely on the web people as I want to make 100% sure it's ok.

Any suggestions gratefully received!!
thanks,

George

George - I don't know of any shops that will have them for sure, but why not try the London Camera Exchange for a starter - they may be able to advise if they don't have any..
LCE
98 The Strand
London
WC2R 0AG

tel
0207 379 0200

fax
0207 379 6991

opening times
Mon: 9:00 - 5:30
Tue: 9:00 - 5:30
Wed: 9:00 - 5:30
Thu: 9:00 - 5:30
Fri: 9:00 - 5:30
Sat: 11:00 - 5:30
Sun: Closed

Where in West London will you be ?

Well, I'm coming in to Islington from Sunningdale tomorrow pm. Thanks for your help, will try them Ist thing tomorrow

I've ordered two NP-E3's from 7dayshop last week and they should be due any day, I could send you one if they arrive in time and you could replace it when you get five minutes. royalmail special delivery would ensure you got it next day for £4.75.

Chris, thanks a lot for the offer, and I may take you up on that. I will also be fascinated to hear if they work ok, I had problems with my 7 day ones(did a post about it a few weeks ago) so please let me know!
I found a place on the N Circular rd in Lon, called Chellza Ltd, it's £29 or so but don't know if I can do a pickup, will check tomorrow am and let you know.

Many thanks again,
George

I ordered them as they were recommended on here, but they were out of stock till last week so perhaps they had a problem with a batch and were waiting for some more, if they do come I will charge them and try them in my markIIN to make sure the're ok.

..since when has Islington been West london..?
I onlyasked as I am working in Putney, which IS west, and might have been able to direct you towards another shop or 2..
Still, good luck !

Steve, sorry my geography is a bit shakey south of Edinburgh....:LOL: :LOL: - seriously though i'm moving about a bit. Any other suggestions gratefully received!!

Steve, can you give me any more suggesions?

If you get stuck, and are passing through West Yorkshire (Leeds area) any time during the week, I have a spare you can borrow.

I'm m assuming the 1Ds MKII battery is the same as 1DS

George,
These people are Canon dealers but I don't know anything about them..

York Cameras
18 Bury Place, Camden, London, WC1A
Telephone: 0207 242 7182

Otherwise, there is the usual Tottenham Court Road chains that will be able to sell you something at a price..

A question - What does the name Anstruther mean to you - I used to do a lot of work for the guy who owns Balkaskie, an estate close to Anstruther, and he is Anstruther...
Cheers

Steve

Thanks, Les, will let you know, that's great.Will be going to the Lakes via Dewsbury so could make the diversion. Will let you know Later Tues as won't be able to get emails till then from now. Thanks again.
Steve, Anstruther is a pretty little fishing village on the North coast of the Forth in Fife, very picturesque, but I don't know Balkaskie.

George

Les, I've ordered two from 7 day but they will only ship to my home address, so don't know if they will arrive in time to turn them round to get to me in time. May well therefore accept your offer of a loan, and will pm you shhortly. Thanks a lot everyone else for your help.

George

I didn't know 7Dayshop did Fish and Chips :shrug:

just interested in what the problems were you had with the 7dayshop batteries ?...can't understand how canon can charge quite as much as they do - I found a site somewhere with the result of someone dismantling a canon battery...its basically AA batteries connected in series! probably costs about £5 to actually make. talk about profit margins!

just interested in what the problems were you had with the 7dayshop batteries ?...can't understand how canon can charge quite as much as they do - I found a site somewhere with the result of someone dismantling a canon battery...its basically AA batteries connected in series! probably costs about £5 to actually make. talk about profit margins!

Rip off OEM batteries.

You will find that most of the batteries are made in the same manufacturing plants, and when the canon run of batteries has finished, they may change the odd component, then they will run a batch for the third party resellers. Thats how the costs are kept down as they dont have to retool for the job.

shiato, see my previous posts on a thread about 6 weeks ago, it explains the prob. Am travelling so will explain mre on return. Their fish and chips is great, however!!

According to their website mine have dispatched but not arrived yet so it might be cutting it a bit fine for that option.

OK, thanks again Chris, I'm borrowing one from Les so the immediate problem is I hope solved!! Thanks, guys, you've been really great!!
George
and I'll update on the batteries when I get the 7 day ones!!
I mean the battery problems!!

Well, firstly thanks to Les for lending me his battery, it will be back to him in the post early this week. I must say that is the great thing about a forum like this, it does help to restore your faith in the human race (or a great silent majority anyway!!)- and to the others who offered their help, thanks again, and if the fish and chip shop in Anstruther gets some business out of it, so much the better!!
The main reason for this addendum to my post is to confirm that 7 day shop NP-E3 bateries as used in the 1Ds, etc are now ok and the problems I had with the two a bit ago seem to have been solved.
There was no doubt that the contacts were faulty on the ones I had previously , they were a smidgeon too short with the result that contact was at best intermittent and at worst non existent, so now I am up and running with a couple of spares. Hope yours are also ok Chris.
Thaks again, guys:clap::clap:

Oh and mho, had a good look at the difference between the oem batteries and 7 day ones, the moulding although obviously similar (or they wouldn't fit!!) do have a lot of moulding differences, so the tooling must not be the same, but I'm sure they may well come from the same manufacturing plant.
Also I'd say that the securing clip on the Canon is a bit more substantial, but for the money!!!!!....

They arrived Friday and I have charged them up and they both seem to fit fine, I don't suppose you know if you can get the plastic contact covers anywhere?

Oh and mho, had a good look at the difference between the oem batteries and 7 day ones, the moulding although obviously similar (or they wouldn't fit!!) do have a lot of moulding differences, so the tooling must not be the same, but I'm sure they may well come from the same manufacturing plant.
Also I'd say that the securing clip on the Canon is a bit more substantial, but for the money!!!!!....

Mine are exactly the same I bought them when 7 day shop first stocked them, and they are identical, even down to the finish they have, Maybe they are using a diffrent supplier now.

Chris, wish I knew, it is a pain not to have these covers.Suppose Canon will sell them, except they probably only cost a penny or two. Seems a silly omission.

Back