1 month in the US/Canada - where to go?

Matt.

Judge Dredd
Edit My Images
Yes
I need to go away for a month next year, but can't decide where to go. My ideal is Alaska, but it's incredibly expensive, so I'm looking at alternatives. I'm after big scenery. Not cities.

I've done the usuals... Yellowstone, Yosemite, Rocky Mountain, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Arches, Canyonlands, Badlands, Zion, Bryce, Jasper, Banff, etc...

I also cannot go late August, but can go any other time.

Long drives are not an issue. I've been on several 5,000+ mile road trips.

I am struggling to come up with ideas!

My thoughts so far are:
- Alaska + California (for some sun at the end)
- Hawaii + ?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

I've thought about Boston, New Hampshire, Maine, then over into canada. Plenty there, lake Louise, then moraine lake.

Last edited:
I've thought about Boston, New Hampshire, Maine, then over into canada. Plenty there, lake Louise, then moraine lake.

I've done Banff and Jasper, and Boston.

Maine maybe an idea. Would probably have to be October though in that part of the Us.

I haven’t been myself but Hawaii is definitely on my list, stunning landscapes

Yes Hawaii is an option. I would have to go somewhere else though as I don't think it would be enough. Maybe a quick California stop on the way back.

I've done Banff and Jasper, and Boston.

Maine maybe an idea. Would probably have to be October though in that part of the Us.

New Hampshire and Maine, autumn for the colours definitely.

Have you done the smokey mountains? We went to pidgeon forge for a wedding, drove through Georgia cotton fields, Stone Mountain park in Atlanta. The smokey mountains with the rivers looked amazing.
Might again be as we went I. October with the autumn colours

If you're going to California you could consider a trip to Death Valley:

https://photographylife.com/what-to-photograph-in-death-valley
https://improvephotography.com/44564/photographers-guide-death-valley/

Make sure you do your research on staying safe if you decide to go; bring plenty of water etc.

I missed that out as he said he'd done Yosemite, grand canyon etc. We had two weeks in California travelling from San Francisco to Yosemite, Sequoia, Death Valley, Vegas etc. I'm not sure death valley is more than a few days so would need to be mixed in with other things

Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and up that east coast? I was in Nova Scotia a few weeks ago - lovely - lots to see, with a beautiful coastline varying from smooth grey rocks, lighthouses to big beaches, cliffs, and lots of beautiful little inlets. I could have spent ages there.

You've mentioned having been to Yellowstone before but surely its worth spending another week or so there again? Might be a different season to your previous visit so would offer up another set of wonderful adventure around the park.

I need to go away for a month next year, but can't decide where to go. My ideal is Alaska, but it's incredibly expensive, so I'm looking at alternatives. I'm after big scenery. Not cities.

I've done the usuals... Yellowstone, Yosemite, Rocky Mountain, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Arches, Canyonlands, Badlands, Zion, Bryce, Jasper, Banff, etc...

I also cannot go late August, but can go any other time.

Long drives are not an issue. I've been on several 5,000+ mile road trips.

I am struggling to come up with ideas!

My thoughts so far are:
- Alaska + California (for some sun at the end)
- Hawaii + ?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

After spending 2 weeks in Canda, I would suggest 2 weeks in the Rockies, and then drive onto Vancouver Island for 2 weeks, spend at least 4/5 days up at Cambell River and then go a bit further North, come back down the West coast and do a couple of nights in Tofino. I just wish we had longer to stay, but the vistas were amazing, and the wildlife fantastic.

We went in late June/Early July 2 years ago.

Lots of ideas here. Thank you!
Smokies is a possibility. Although Yellowstone is probably my favourite park in the US it's perhaps a little too soon after my last trip for a revisit. Newfoundland and up that way isn't somewhere I'd considered. I shall take a look at that one.

I'll perhaps update my list of places I've been to over the last few years (I'm perhaps a little obsessed with US parks...!):

US:
> Cities: NYC, Washington, Boston, SF, LA, Denver, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Seattle
> Parks: Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, Capitol Reef, Badlands, Black Canyon, Great Sand Dunes, Olympic, Rocky Mountain, Arches, Canyonlands, Mesa Verde, Joshua Tree, Pinnacles, Glacier, Grand Teton, Crator Lake, Mt Rainier, Death Valley, Monument Valley, Valley of Fire

Canada:
> Cities: Vancouver, Victoria, Toronto
> Parks: Banff, Jasper

New Zealand.- South Island

Australia
> Cities: Sydney, Melbourne

Iceland

Italy - Dolomites, Venice

Am I reading this right? The OP is asking complete strangers on the internet where he should go on holiday. Wow!

If you want Canada again then it sounds like you should head across to Toronto and Niagra. You might consider starting there in the early autumn, then driving down through the Catskills & New York state, down through Chicago, though it might not give you the biggest & most spectacular scenery.

We were in Vancouver, Revelstoke, Banff and Jasper a couple of years back, and are planning to go back again, but heading north up the coast this time, then across to Whistler before going to see friends at Wetaskiwin.

The area north of Saskatoon and Prince Albert is a mix of lakes & forests, and lovely with lots of wildlife, but otherwise unspectacular.

Back