Beginner 1" sensor compared to 1/2.3" sensor

Edit My Images
Yes
is there any noticeable difference? (bsi sensor I assume) my photo resolutions won't be more than 10 megapixels. at the moment I'm using 2560*1920 5mp which is 'more than enough'

Huge difference, the 1" with be far better all through the ISO range if they are the same age tech.

thanks for the info. I guess the test is to see the difference in the results? (photo qualities)

Normally the dynamic range will be better in the larger sensor if they both have the same MP. I would always go for the larger sensor for photography especially if you intend to print the photographs.

In the days of film the usual answer was "a good big 'un will always beat a good little 'un". When it comes to digital sensors the answer is just not that simple. I use sensors from full frame to 1/2.3 and the answer becomes "it depends on all sorts of things". Here are some...
  • The age of the sensors being compared (a year is a very long time in micro-electronics).
  • The qualities (not quality) of the lenses being used.
  • The software used in each camera.
  • The production tolerances for each camera and lens.
  • The type of photography being undertaken.
  • The intended use of the image being recorded.
  • The perceived quality required of the image being recorded.
There are several other questions that are appropriate to special uses but I'm sure you get the idea. In any case, for many purposes I'm happy with the output from my 1/2.3 compacts.

Back