1 Year Timelapse Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit My Images
Yes
As an IT Contractor I get handed quite a lot of interesting projects, but incorporating photography, this has to be one of my favourite.

The brief is to create a timelapse of a boat build to use for marketing.

I've spent today putting together a demo using a Raspberry Pi and my 650D;

The idea is that the RPI utilises gPhoto2 (with a script to ensure it restarts if it crashes) to take pictures every 10 seconds for a couple of hours (this will be every 15 minutes for the year).

As a simple network failure failsafe, I use BTSync to sync photos to a server where the server moves any files from the BTSync folder to another location every five minutes (which also deletes the files from the RPi). This way, if the network drops for an amount of time, they photos will simply be stored on the RPi until the network is restored, at which point they automatically sync up again.

My test rig for today:
1606944_10152233458245695_1753513929_n.jpg

And the results after a few hours....

I should have shot the photos in a size more suitable for 16:9, something I will look in to for next time.

Next job is to grab a spare camera, an AC adapter and build an enclosure before performing a longer test leading up to the start of the build.

You could consider something like the Drift Ghost or GoPro for alternative viewpoints and such which would be tricky with the DSLR
They both have timelapse options and produce decent images that would be fine for 1080p video,

A warning has been issued for this post
Can't get either video to work.

digging up old threads in an attempt to regain classifieds access is NOT the brightest of ideas.
Digging up nothing, I was looking through the forums and this was on the list. Penalised for trying to take a look at people's work now?

Digging up nothing, I was looking through the forums and this was on the list. Penalised for trying to take a look at people's work now?

As explained via PM... Moderator Decisions are not for discussion on the forum, use the contact us option should you wish to discuss why digging up a 18 month post was not considered suspicious activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back