10 stop filter

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Hi all, I'm after a 10 stop filter for landscape stuff - wondering what my options are? Trouble is I'm not sure what lens I would use the most so not sure on the thread sizes?

Ideally, something under or around £50 would be good :)

What ever make you go for buy the size that fits your largest thread and buy step down rings for your other lenses.

As for brands.....have a look at Camdiox/SRB and Haida for 10 stoppers which suit your budget.

thanks, mate. I will check them out! I guess it will have to be a slot in jobby, I wouldn't fancy trying to screw one on once focused up?

Invest in a filter system such as Lee to start with, you're going to want one in the end so don't waste money/time now.

http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/system

It will then pretty much fit every lens, all your need is the adapter ring.

Then keep a look out for a good used 10 stop filter, I just sold one in the FS section for £60.

If you can't stretch to Lee, try Formatt-Hitech (at least for the holder). Their Firecrest filters are fantastic (I have the 8 stop ND and don't get any colour cast at all) but pricey.

Ian

I have a HOYA Pro ND1000 circular that I bought from someone off here for £32.50 - in my opinion it is excellent

As for Lee systems - you can get a cheap generic holder for around £10 that does a similar job (get one with good reviews)

Lee big stoppers sell on here for about £60-70 from time to time.

Last edited:
hi all, time to revisit this! Santa might bring me some goodies :) I am looking at a generic holder that seems like a good deal on amazon, https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LW8DHRU

lots of cheap filters around too but have had some really dodgy ones in the past, anyone using any of the budget ND filters at all?

OnLandscape did a pretty comprehensive look at various ten-stoppers recently.
https://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2017/07/nd-filters/

I hadn’t seen that review when I saw this thread and came on here recommend the Haida stuff. I’ve used their polarisers before and a 10 stop screw in and been really impressed by both. £55 gets you a brand new 100x100 10 stopper with gasket. You’d be hard pressed to get a scruffy used big stopper for that. I’d definitely be tempted.

I hadn’t seen that review when I saw this thread and came on here recommend the Haida stuff. I’ve used their polarisers before and a 10 stop screw in and been really impressed by both. £55 gets you a brand new 100x100 10 stopper with gasket. You’d be hard pressed to get a scruffy used big stopper for that. I’d definitely be tempted.

Hey, where do you mean that you can get a 100x100 10 stop for £55? Just had a quick search and can't find much?

What ever make you go for buy the size that fits your largest thread and buy step down rings for your other lenses.

As for brands.....have a look at Camdiox/SRB and Haida for 10 stoppers which suit your budget.
This.

but.... pretty sure he needs STEP UP rings not step down rings?

I.e. if he has a lens which is 67mm and a 77mm filter he'd need to step up not step down.

This.

but.... pretty sure he needs STEP UP rings not step down rings?

I.e. if he has a lens which is 67mm and a 77mm filter he'd need to step up not step down.

You are correct, it would be step up rings not step down. Was obviously having a mare day that day.

Why do you need a filter holder for an even filter? What is wrong with blue tac? It is what Joe Cornish uses....

Why do you need a filter holder for an even filter? What is wrong with blue tac? It is what Joe Cornish uses....

But I doubt Joe Cornish pays for his filters, I certainly wouldn't trust Blu-tac to hold a £100 piece of glass on the front of my lens:(

As regards using a generic filter holder, one problem I came across going that route, was that the gasket on the filter did not seal properly allowing light to leak in, so ended up forking out the extra for a Lee holder.
The one linked to above might be OK, I have no idea as never heard of them before.

Back