10 stop practice(B&W version added)

Edit My Images
No
As i am heading down to Cornwall in a couple of weeks i have been trying to get out with my camera as much as possible to get a bit of practice in. I recently received my 10 stopper so headed out this afternoon & took this.

This is a 129sec exposure at f/11 iso80

B&W version

Thanks for looking. Comments welcome.

Cheers Tom

Last edited:
Very nice Tom.
Love the smokey water and the composition suits the subject.

Thanks Andrew & Kevin. Hopefully the weather will play ball in Cornwall! :-s

This would work equally well in black and white. great shot.

This would work equally well in black and white. great shot.

I agree, would love to see a black and white version of this. It's a lovely shot though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words guys. I was thinking about a b&w version so may have a play with that this afternoon!

Excellent pic Tom
as a matter of interest
what make 10 stopper do you have and what's the best size to go for ?
regards
tman

I've always found shots like this a bit boring to be honest, BUT, with this shot, you have some fantastic colour and texture and the whole shot is just so soothing! You have set the white balance correctly here also, so you seem to be all set to get some great shots down in Cornwall-good luck!

Scott

Excellent pic Tom
as a matter of interest
what make 10 stopper do you have and what's the best size to go for ?
regards
tman

Hi Tony thanks.
I used a Lee big stopper in this shot. The filter is the 100x100mm version that fit the Lee filter holder. I use that size filter with my wide angle lens as vignetting can become a problem with smaller filter kits.

I would highly recommend the Big stopper & also the hitech pro stop ir 10 stopper they both have minimal amounts of colour cast. There are other filters that suffer badly from colour cast issues. (I actually have one of the hitech version for sale at the moment!)

Cheers T

I've always found shots like this a bit boring to be honest, BUT, with this shot, you have some fantastic colour and texture and the whole shot is just so soothing! You have set the white balance correctly here also, so you seem to be all set to get some great shots down in Cornwall-good luck!

Scott

Thank you Scott your very kind!

Tom
I looked at the Hitech version on Amazon a day or two ago I must admit
and decided against it going on customer reviews
but thanks for the heads up on makes/size etc.
keep up the great work
regards
Tony

:exit:

Tom
I looked at the Hitech version on Amazon a day or two ago I must admit
and decided against it going on customer reviews
but thanks for the heads up on makes/size etc.
keep up the great work
regards
Tony

:exit:

Are you sure it was the IR version? I also had the earlier hitech version & found it terrible so got rid of it.

Here is a review of the new version if you are interested
http://blog.robertstrachan.com/archives/tag/big-stopper-hitech/

Just looked on amazon & they are the old version filter!
Cheers T

Last edited:
Are OK my mistake Tom
will investigate further
as a matter of interest how much are you after for the hitech pro stop ir 10 stopper
and is it just the ND filter or does it include a holder (will I need anything else) ?
regards
Tony :)

Last edited:
Are OK my mistake Tom
will investigate further
as a matter of interest how much are you after for the hitech pro stop ir 10 stopper
and is it just the ND filter or does it include a holder (will I need anything else) ?
regards
Tony :)

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner Tony

I'm after £95 for it as it is in great condition & has only been used a couple of times. You would need to get a filter holder & adapter ring to suit your lens.

The filter is in the classified section under accessories

Cheers T

Thanks for sharing this Tom. Fantastic texture and tones. This gives me some great ideas to try out in my next outing!

I have also just bought a Lee 10 stop, despite finding these sea/groyne long exposures rather clichéd. It seems that despite that, they still give (me) pleasure!

I can't comment on the colour version (don't really do colour), but the B&W needs the atmosphere building, I would suggest some vignette, or at the very least some darkening of the top of the sky (as indeed in the colour version).

Good work though. Looking forward to trying mine.

I have also just bought a Lee 10 stop, despite finding these sea/groyne long exposures rather clichéd. It seems that despite that, they still give (me) pleasure!

I can't comment on the colour version (don't really do colour), but the B&W needs the atmosphere building, I would suggest some vignette, or at the very least some darkening of the top of the sky (as indeed in the colour version).

Good work though. Looking forward to trying mine.

To be honest I don't really do b&w. I only did it as some people had said about a b&w version. A lot of people aren't keen on long exposures but I quite like them.

Cheers T

Back