10 Tips to capture the flying birds shots.

Edit My Images
No
I am aware that many of here are very good in the photography but then too i would like to share some tips upon it which learn and hope that its help you all if anybody is not aware of this tips.

Tips as follow:

1. Watch your composition.

2. Adjust your elevation.

3. Adjust your camera settings.

4. Use the user programmable modes.

5. Shoot away from the sun.

6. Shoot away from the sun.

7. Don’t skimp on depth-of-field.

8. Shoot with both eyes open.

9. Pay attention to the background.

10. Don’t skimp on Image Stabilization.

I would love if anyone wanna add few things that are not mention here.

That nine tips as your duplicating 5&6

Start of with slower flying and straight flying birds like Swans. If you start with Swallows or something you will get frustrated and will be more likely to give up too soon.

Start of with slower flying and straight flying birds like Swans. If you start with Swallows or something you will get frustrated and will be more likely to give up too soon.

Seagulls are good practice too (y)

Not all gospel and much depends on camera and conditions but a few points to consider:

Set your focus to track (AI Servo for example)

Learn the AF sensitivity options in custom settings

Learn about Focus Assist Points if you have them.

Decide what works best with your lens stabilisation settings.

Practice panning.

Consider the size and wing speeds of the different species.

Consider stopping down the aperture for greater dof as it gives some margin for error.

Keep the shutter speed up by increasing your ISO especially if you're stopping down for greater dof.

Dial in some + exposure compensation to retain bird detail against sky.

Once you've decided on suitable aperture and shutter speed - constantly check ISO as light changes to ensure speeds aren't dropping.

Observe the birds for predictable movement.

Don't get cross LOL

Last edited:
Used to shoot clay pigeons was quite good, have found shooting bif's quite easy i am sure the other shooting helped to grasp it quickly, although swallows are a challenge as everyone knows. Auto iso, and as said some dof does help.

why not use spot metering?

I do. It was more a case of mentioning exposure compensation as a useful option. It's a handy variable - just depends on what the bird is and whether it's against an overcast sky or a deep blue sunny sky.

Last edited:
have found shooting bif's quite easy i am sure the other shooting helped to grasp it quickly, although swallows are a challenge as everyone knows. Auto iso, and as said some dof does help.

Hi Antony and welcome, look forward to seeing some of your work (y)

Hi Antony and welcome, look forward to seeing some of your work (y)

Nice one Rich, and hi to you to, i have been looking in for a while and have read some of the good advice you help out with as well as your excellent pics, i have been keen on photography for many years ie way back to film slr's, only taken to bird photography for about a year it takes time to build a collection of pics but getting there slowly, the bif point i made was not trying to be clever merely making a point that from no previous experience i have not struggled to get decent results,
mind the 7d helps!
I fully intend to post some stuff when ready and will expect some constructive critique from yourself, i also have to work out how to download onto here. I did try it once and found out that you have to send from Flickr or whatever so will have to get that sorted. Tony (y)

All good tips, and although i've snapped birds in flight with MF lenses, and even an MF one fixed aperture (f7.5) Astro Scope, its hard work. Much prefer AF lenses

Oh its my mistake.

Here is the 6 tip: Shoot in short bursts of 2 or three images.

Back