100-400 Mk2 or Sigma 150-600 Sport

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone, considering the above options to use with the Canon 90D for aviation, motorsport and wildlife. Would welcome any opinions/experience, as quite a big price difference.

I'm lucky enough to have both :)

I only use the Sigma for "fixed" photography, the Canon is much easier to use as a walkabout, handheld device

The Canon lens is beyond superb.

However... Do you need the extra 200mm focal length? Do you print big or just show shots on the screen? If so, then the Sigma is no slouch and well worth consideration

Mike

I have the 150-600C and the 100-400, albeit the MK1.

In my experience, the Canon is ultra sharp, I can only imagine the Mk2 is even better. I may have a good copy of the Mk1 and I can't imagine anything being sharper, so I've never upgraded.

The Sigma I have found to also be very sharp, almost, if not as sharp as the Canon. The extra reach is also very nice and I use the Sigma more often than not. The Canon though is smaller and easier to carry around as at 100mm, it's quite small, for a telephoto.

I'd use the Sigma for hide work and the Canon as a walkaround.

If I had to choose, I'd probably go for the Canon, (especially the Mk2 now), you really can't beat native. Native will also make the best use of the sensor.

Thanks gents for your insights. Looks like the canon, although the extra reach and price difference is tempting

The Sigma Sport 150-600 is quite a big and weighty beast and, on a crop sensor camera, might be a bit too much reach for motorsport (and probably some aviation)? For more distant wildlife then the 600mm top end on a crop sensor camera will most likely be useful, if you're in a hide and don't have to trek about carrying a big, heavy lens. Could it be that you might actually want a 100-400 and a 150-600?

Then there's focus speed and reliable and accurate 'lock on' to consider. If it's really fast stuff you are looking to photograph, then the Canon 100-400 L IS II might be the way to go... but it's not cheap! If it's slower and more predictably moving stuff you mostly shoot, then could you run to a Sigma (or Tamron if you want full weatherproofing) 100-400 and a Sigma 150-600 if you bought mint(ish) and lightly used versions from a reputable dealer? Then again, don't blame me if you keep wishing you'd really bought a Canon 100-400 L II instead though! It's your call. (y)

Last edited:
At one time I had both but I now just have the Sigma sport.

The Canon is sharper at 400mm but the Sigma is better at 600mm, by this I mean when comparing it to the 100-400mm with the 1.4x MKIII converter and to me reach is everything with a lens like this.

I actually have a 90D coming Friday on loan from Canon (just wanted to try one) so I will be interested to see how the Sigma gets on with it.

Mike P, hope to hear how you get on with the 90 D. Mr Badger - i wish both as an option, but there are limits . Going for the 100-400!

I own the sigma 150-600 contemporary and a friend of mine has the canon ef 100-400 mkii.
IMO the canon is a better lens as it is easier to walk around with and it has 0.74m minimum focusing distance were the sigma is meters !
The sigma does need the docking station to tweak the focusing to get the best results for sharpness and image stabilization.
The sigma is great for prone, static shoots, safaris and now airshows as the aircraft displays are getting further away from the crowd so even a 300mm is just not enough now.
The Sigma is cheaper and well worth the money, however if can afford the 100-400 mkii ( used is the best way to go ) then buy that.
Both lenses are very good and fit two budgets, and you will be happy with both.

Last edited:
I tried both and bought the canon. Even with a 1.4x TC mounted the images were better, and the focus felt quicker (on a 7d2). No regrets.

I tried both and bought the canon. Even with a 1.4x TC mounted the images were better, and the focus felt quicker (on a 7d2). No regrets.

I think that is a pretty good choice actually as my camera is 7Dii and I have used both and the 100-400 mkii is a solid choice. Even though I own 70-300L IS USM & Sigma bazooka 150-600 C I will get the 100-400 Mkii, as it is a very good all rounder. Better IQ, handling, than the Mki.
For airshows and wildlife my 70-300 does not have enough reach and the 150-600 needs pretty bright light to focus accurately. Now factor in the 100-400 mkii which has more reach than the 70-300 and slightly better than 150-600 in low light, plus is is lighter.

Got the 90D from Canon yesterday so I took it out this morning with the 150-600mm sport. Very gloomy weather though so tracking any birds was a waste of time but here are a couple of shots taken with it to give an idea of IQ. Seems like a decent little camera although you have to watch the noise with that 30mp APSC sensor.

First two are wide open (f/5.6) at 600mm, sharpness does suffer a little when posting here for some reason.

IMG_4781_Jpg
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

IMG_4751_Jpg

IMG_4913_Jpg

I do find with the sigma 150-600mm (as I did with the older 150-500mm) just back off a touch from full zoom, so the max I use is around 550-570mm, it may sound strange but I find it to be true, also agree it's better to use the docking station to fine tune the focus.

I agree with ShropshireLad, just back of full zoom on the 150-600 a little as I often find this gives best results. The docking station will help fine tune the sigma bazooka and there are plenty of YouTube videos on how to do this. You need to do the tuning at various focal lengths and apertures.

I agree with ShropshireLad, just back of full zoom on the 150-600 a little as I often find this gives best results. The docking station will help fine tune the sigma bazooka and there are plenty of YouTube videos on how to do this. You need to do the tuning at various focal lengths and apertures.
I had to tune the focus on my Sigma 100-400 as it was front focussing noticeably when I first got it. Going through that rigmarole was a few hours of my life I won't get back, but it's spot on now, so time well spent in the end, considering how unhappy I was with it before I bought the dock and tuned it! It's also good to have the ability to update the firmware too, which is another benefit of the USB dock system.

Mr Badger,
I have the dock and I do need to fine tune my sigma 150-600C and 17-70C to my eos 7Dii to get the bets IQ and set the OS to dynamitic for better aggressive stabilization.
I have put it off for a while as I have not had time this year to play around with as I have worked all through lockdown Vr 1.0 & 2.0

Back