100-400ii L Front Elements?

JDP

Messages
526
Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Folks,
Long time no speak.
I have had to put my camera down for a little bit due to work. A few months ago I put the camera away, clean, using lens cleaning solution.
I look at the lens today and I notice this crap on the glass, I have always used clean micro-fibre cloths, I have never had any scratches on it. I always clean the gear after every shoot, especially if I have been out in bad weather...

Does this look like I need a new front element? I have tried the solution again to remove it, no avail...

Anyway, anyone seen this before, and what was the outcome?

Many Thanks,
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9190.jpg
    IMG_9190.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
It looks like fungus to me, most probably on the inside of the front element if it isn't shifting when you try cleaning it off externally. Not sure I would personally try a disassembly and cleaning as alignment of modern lenses elements can very easily be ruined.
From this pic it doesn't look advanced enough to have etched the glass (could be wrong as the pic might not show the full extent of the issue) so I doubt you need a new front element but it does need cleaned/ sorted by someone with the correct tools and knowhow asap before it gets worse and or spreads.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JDP
It looks like fungus to me, most probably on the inside of the front element if it isn't shifting when you try cleaning it off externally. Not sure I would personally try a disassembly and cleaning as alignment of modern lenses elements can very easily be ruined.
From this pic it doesn't look advanced enough to have etched the glass (could be wrong as the pic might not show the full extent of the issue) so I doubt you need a new front element but it does need cleaned/ sorted by someone with the correct tools and knowhow asap before it gets worse and or spreads.

Thanks mate. I thought that too but I wasn't sure. I did so much googling trying to compare - so I am pleased someone else came to the conclusion!
I am gutted, I really cant bring myself to use the absolute diabolical 200-800 I mistakenly bought. But I want to go and do some photography! lol.

Maybe this is the sign to move camera brands. I have been thinking about it since I spent a month in the Massai using the Z8! - try to revitalise my enjoyment of photography, learning something new.
 
I'd be more concerned how the fungus appeared. Is the bag it was in now something to consider as "infected"?
 
I'd be more concerned how the fungus appeared. Is the bag it was in now something to consider as "infected"?
Unless you live in a clean room the air around you is full of fungus spores, the problem is humidity and warmth in the bag after being out in bad weather. Your kit might 'look' dry but a little moisture in an enclosed space like a camera bag is all it takes for a random spore to take root.
I tend to keep a couple desiccant bags in my camera bags to combat the humidity and if I have used kit in the rain I take everything out of the bag, wipe it all down and then let it air dry for a while before I put it back away.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Nod
Back
Top