Beginner 100% Crop? Terminology, please explain

BBR

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
I have sometimes read the term 100% crop and people seem to use this term when refering to an image that has been heavily cropped.

However logically it would seem to me that if you crop away 100% of an image you would have no image left and on the other hand if the % refers to the amount of the image that is left then at 100% it would not be cropped at all! Can someone please explain.
Also, for clarity, if I used only a quarter of an original image, would that be a 75% crop or 25%?

When someone explains I will probably realise that its me being thick. I look forward to the explanations. Thanks

Its a poorly worded statement sadly, as it means 1:1 pixel ratio. 100% zoom on your photo is 1:1 pixel ratio, and also what 100% crop means.

Yes. Think of it as a crop taken at 100% zoom; a crop because it's not usually practical to show all the image due to the size, so people post a crop of the area in question at a 1:1 ration.

Thanks James, so a pixel 1:1 ratio is a 100% crop and means each pixel in the image is represented by one pixel on your screen?

Yes. 100% is also commonly used as most software packages have a 1:1 or 100% button to make things easy. It also means that images with different pixel counts come out at different physical sizes, often very different, so it's not always a reliable way of making comparisons.

Back