100 Strangers **Complete** 15th July 2016.

105:200 Strangers - Daniela
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I noticed Daniela walking along from Leicester Square, particularly her lovely long curly hair and friendly face. I approached and asked if she would be part of my project. A little hesitant at first, Daniela eventually agreed once I gave her my card and explained the project a little more. Daniela initially thought i was selling portraits!

Daniela is from Italy and had travelled to London for business.

I asked Daniela her happiest moment?

"Finding my last love on a flight 5 years ago."

"He is my guy now!"

Thank you Daniela.

106:200 Strangers - Paulo
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I noticed Paulo walking through Leicester Square, particularly how stylish and well dressed he was. I thought he stood out amongst the more casually dressed tourists with his 3 piece suit and bow tie.

Paulo agreed to be part of my project but told me it had to be quick as he was in a rush to catch a bus towards Kings Cross train station.

Unfortunately as Paulo was in such a hurry to get going, I never got a chance to find out anything about him! Maybe next time Paulo?

Thank you Paulo!

107:200 Strangers - Elvine
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Elvine
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

No sooner had Paulo (Stranger #106) and I parted company when I saw Elvine in her fantastic outfit in Leicester Square chatting to passersby. I thought she may be connected to one of the theatres nearby.

i approached Elvine and introduced myself and my project. She happily agreed to my making her portrait against a nearby background.

Elvine is French, originally from Gabon, Africa. Eleven is a fashion blogger and was out promoting her blog and website in company with a couple of friends.

http://elvineohlala.wix.com/elvineohlala

"I have a passion for fashion. I complete projects to help people and it allows them to see change!"

Thank you Elvine!

Last edited:
Fascinating, I'm loving all of these. You have an eye for choosing the right kind of people and the brief notes about who they are are great too. Its a shame you never got any info off of Paulo as he looks an interesting dapper old fella.

Do you generally just pose them straight on or tell them to turn a bit etc or just let them stand how they want?

What a successful trip! Great shots, and stories!

Thanks Joe (y)
Yes, it was a very successful trip up to London at the weekend.
I don't have a set number I wish to shoot on each visit, some days I have gone out and not captured one stranger portrait.
Other days, like Saturday, I shot made 5 portraits all of which I am very pleased with. Certainly quality wins overtime over quantity.

Fascinating, I'm loving all of these. You have an eye for choosing the right kind of people and the brief notes about who they are are great too. Its a shame you never got any info off of Paulo as he looks an interesting dapper old fella.

Do you generally just pose them straight on or tell them to turn a bit etc or just let them stand how they want?

Thanks Dan (y)
Yes, I wished i could have got a bit more about Paulo but he was a man on a mission :D
For a head and shoulders shot, I generally like to pose people straight on. There is a school of thought about having women in particular pose at an angle as it is slimming or at least more complimentary. I don't disagree with that but prefer straight on head and shoulders shots.
Beyond that, yes i do direct the strangers in how I would like them to stand/pose. There hasn't been anyone yet who has said they weren't posing.

108:200 Strangers - Andreea
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Andreea
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I noticed Andreea walking through Hayes Galleria, Southbank, London, well in particular her colourful red hair.
On approaching Andreea, she was a little hesitant at first, and checked to see if I was selling her portrait before happily agreeing to be part of my project.

Andreea is from Bucharest, Romania visiting London for The Strokes concert last night.

I asked Andreea what makes her happy?

"Music makes me happy, it can change my mood at any time, highs and lows!"

I asked Andreea where she saw herself in 10 years time?

"I can't even see where I will be in a week! I take life as it happens!"
"I will probably still be a redhead"

Thank you Andreea!

Last edited:

109:200 Strangers - Raluca
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Raluca was with Andreea (stranger #108) when I asked if she too would be part of my project.
Raluca is also from Bucharest, Romania.

"I am very indecisive, I'm not sure where I want to be in the future but I do love London and wish to move here someday!"

"I am very lucky, I don't have any struggles in life. Life has gone flawless!"

Thank you Raluca!

110:200 Strangers - Muya
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Muya
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Muya was walking along the Southbank near Tower Bridge and More London when I noticed him, particularly how stylish and smartly dressed he was.

When I approached and asked Muya if I could make his portrait for my project, he asked "Why me?"
I explained that it was because he looked so smart and stylish that he would make a great portrait. Happily he agreed. I asked Muya to stand in a shaded spot against a wall out of the harsh sunlight. I intended to use my reflector as fill light when I was approached by a security guard from More London which although the public have access to it, is actually private property. After a little discussion, the security guard informed me that I could continue with my photography but couldn't use my reflector "For health & safety reasons!!" It put a little bit of a damper on my whole interaction with Muya, as I didn't want to have an argument with the security guard in front of Muya and his friend. I am happy with how Muya's portrait turned out despite the jobsworth security.

Maya's advice to his younger self would be "Live more, think less!"

I asked Muya where he would like to be in 10 years time?

"I don't know, thats the beauty of it!"

Thank you Muya.

112:200 Strangers - Diana
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Diana
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Diana is a tattoo artist living and working in London.

"I started a tattoo apprenticeship straight out of school and have been doing it for around 6 years. I would love to do guest spots at tattoo studios around the world.
I'm happy being an artist, its what I want to do!"

Thank you Diana!

113:200 Strangers - Lauren
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Lauren is a knitting graffiti artist and has been doing that since 2007.

Lauren, a.k.a Deadly Knitshade: Author, artist, graffiti knitting pioneer, traveller, photographer and giant squid wrestler.

"I had a battle with cancer back in 2004 and it changed my outlook on life. I decided to chase my dreams. I now work as a knitting graffiti artist. I get commissioned to knit."
"I started out placing my knitted creations at night but realised I wanted to photograph them and decided to work in the daytime. It brought about a connection with people. they would ask me what I was doing and I would get to talk with others whose path I wouldn't normally cross."
"My work is like freedom of speech but with wool!"

Check out Lauren, sorry Deadly Knitshades work at:

www.whodunnknit.com

Thank you Lauren!

Last edited:

114:200 Strangers - Gwen
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Gwen is Canadian but has been living and working in London for around 5 years.

A freelance artist, photographer,stylist, curator and model.

"I'm Canadian from a small town on an island where everyone smiled at each other and said hello. I kinda stood out there with my style but when I came to London, I thought hey! I'm not a weirdo, other people have piercings and coloured hair, I've found my place for the time being!"

Gwen has a few motto's in life;

"Always expect the worst and you will never be disappointed but more often than not you will be pleasantly surprised!"

&

"Expectations are toxic!"

"Those might not quite be true because I'm a Libra, full of duality and contradiction!"

Check out Gwen's work at:

gwendolynfaker.com

Thank you Gwen!

Last edited:

115:200 Strangers - Attia
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Attia lives and works in technology in London.

"People and food make me happy!"

"I want to have my own restaurant in the future, not serving food as such, more health drinks, fruit juices and smoothies"

I asked Attia if she would leave technology behind when she realises her dream of having her own restaurant?

"I couldn't leave tech behind, it is being brought into most aspects of the restaurant business but people still matter. You couldn't interact properly on an iPad for instance!"

"People make me happy, I try to interact and engage with people everyday. I often look back on each day and remember what made me happy that day. even just little things, like a smile or thank you from the guy in the coffee shop to this!" (Attia spoke about our interaction for the strangers project).

Thank you Attia!

116:200 Strangers - Chinue
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

116a:200 Strangers - Chinue
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Chinue was on her way to a tourist walk/sightseeing tour when I noticed her walking towards Old Spitalfields Market area.

"I'm American, in case you hadn't realised" Chine said with a smile. We had a laugh about that, I had caught her accent when we first spoke.

Chinue has been in London for nearly a year, love brought her to the UK, specifically her Fiance. It was meeting her Fiance which Chine said was her happiest moment in life.

I asked Chine what makes her happy?

"Sunshine, music, a good book and travel" Chine replied.

Any motto that you hold by?

"Be brave, take risks, its worth it!"

Thank you Chine!

117:200 Strangers - Ksenia
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I saw Ksenia rushing along the street, a woman on a mission it appeared but her striking style and look caught my eye and I asked her if she would be part of my project.

"I am in a rush, I am late for work and my boss won't be too pleased. I assured Ksenia that it would only take a couple of minutes, happily she agreed.

Ksenia is from Russia but works in London in fashion.

"Sunshine and love make me happy!"

"I would love to work in fashion in New York!"

Thank you for sparing me your time Ksenia.

118:200 Strangers - Roger
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

118a:200 Strangers - Roger
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I saw Roger hanging his street art prints on a roller shutter door and his work caught my eye.

Roger is a photographer with some 20 years experience and a street artist for 8 years.

He was selling his work to "Put bread on the table"

Roger is currently completing a BA in Fine Art but wishes to complete an MA in the future.

"I have an attraction for being this side of the gallery door, I'm a street artist!"

See more of Roger's work at:

rogermolloy.com

Thank you Roger!

119:200 Strangers - Phil
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

119a:200 Strangers - Phil
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I noticed Phil, in particular his dreadlocks walking along with a friend near Brick Lane and had to ask if he would be part of my project. I thought he had such a cool style and demeanour about him. Happily Phil agreed.

Phil is originally from Christchurch New Zealand but has been living in London for 2 years where he is an events organiser.

I asked Phil what he was up to today?

"Just up looking to catch a bit of breakfast" he told me.

I asked Phil what makes him tick? What makes him happy?

"Playing sport makes me happy" he said.

I asked Phil where he sees himself in 10 years time?

"Back home in Christchurch!" was the reply.

Thank you Phil.

120:200 Strangers - Onyinye
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I noticed Onyinye and her friend taking photographs against this graffiti wall just off Brick Lane. I asked Onyinye to be part of my project and she happily agreed.

Onyinye is a medical student and hopes one day to be working in University College London Hospital (UCLH).

I asked Onyinye what she she struggled with in life?

"Finding love!" she replied.

I also asked if Onyinye had a motto in life. She didn't have a motto but asked herself the question from American poet Mary Oliver poem "The Summer Day"

"Tell me, what is it you intend to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Oninye said, "Im still trying to figure it out."

Thank you Oninye.

121:200 Strangers - Sinead
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I noticed Sinead and her fantastic style and look walking around Old Spitalfields Market with her sister Claire. I introduced my project and asked Sinead if she would be part of it. Happily she agreed. I then introduced myself, to which Sinead replied in a lovely Irish accent;

"Well, we are not strangers any more!"

Sinead is originally from Meath in Ireland but is now living in London.

I asked Sinead what made her happy?

"Family and friends make me happy, especially when my sister comes to visit!" she said with a smile towards Claire.

Sinead and Claire are planning to go out on the town tonight. I asked will there be alcohol involved?

"Oh, one or two!" Sinead said with another smile towards Claire.

I asked Sinead her ambition in life?

"I hope to become a fashion designer."

Good luck!
Thank you Sinead and Claire.

122:200 Strangers - Mel
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

122a:200 Strangers - Mel
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I noticed Mel walking along Bishopsgate in London with her friends. It was Mel's style, look and tattoos that caught my eye. I approached Mel and asked if she would be part of my project, happily she agreed.

Mel was an absolute star when it came to posing for her portrait. There was a little bit of to-ing and fro-ing to find a suitable position which had a clear background.

Mel is from Sunderland, a graduate art designer, down visiting London.

"I hope to be a freelance wallpaper designer"

"I take life as it comes!"

Thank you Mel and good luck!

Really enjoy each new post to this thread. Can't decide which I prefer in terms of the more 1/2 & 3/4 length or the head and shoulders (I like both).

Particularly like the vignettes about the subjects.

S

Really enjoy each new post to this thread. Can't decide which I prefer in terms of the more 1/2 & 3/4 length or the head and shoulders (I like both).

Particularly like the vignettes about the subjects.

S

Thank you Shaheed, I am still undecided on the poses too.
I do like the head & shoulders shots still, but wish to push my photography further by attempting different poses.

The longer shot of Roger and Chinue are nicer than their closer shot, I would've been inclined to turn Chinue ever so slightly so she was less straight on, you got the hand on waist position right though ;)

I keep finding myself drawn back to the longer shot of Diana, her face is quite captivating although her upper had looks a little strange on her arm.

Onyinye and Sinead really work well with the background you have chosen for them.

(y)

@cowboy
Thanks Mark, the poses i am learning as I go along. I see things after taking the portraits that i wish I had noticed at the time, Diana's upper hand and Chinue's pose case in point.
Thanks again for your comments and critique, much appreciated (y)

Thanks Joe,
I tell them exactly that!
I am doing a street photography project called 100 strangers and wondered could I make your portrait.
Some people ask why, and I tell them I wanted to shoot more people photography. I also tell them it will be posted on Facebook and flickr.
I would generally pay them a compliment or the reason I wish to make their portrait, although most of the time they know why, be it colourful hair, tattoos, piercings etc.
Of the 100, I had about 15-20 people decline, so not too bad success rate.
I would urge you to get back into your project, I love shooting strangers.

Can I ask if you offer them a card or website address to let them see finished image. I wondered if that would be a good approach ?

Can I ask if you offer them a card or website address to let them see finished image. I wondered if that would be a good approach ?

Steve, my simple approach to strangers is my introducing the project, and asking if I could make their portrait. If the person agrees, I give them my card with Facebook photography page, flickr address, email address and mobile telephone number on it.
Its a completely one sided transaction in that respect, barring them giving me their name, I don't ask any further details of the stranger beyond a few open questions so as they can tell me about themselves should they wish.

123:200 Strangers - Amy
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

123a:200 Strangers - Amy
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I noticed Amy and her striking red hair waiting with a friend close to my chosen background. I introduced myself and my project and happily Amy agreed.

Amy lives and works in London. She hopes to one day have her own property management company.

I asked Amy what was good about her day so far?

"I met and played with a gorgeous puppy!"

What makes you happy?

"Family and friends make me happy!"

Thanks Amy!

124:200 Strangers - Helena
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

124a:200 Strangers - Helena
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Again, as with Amy (#123 Stranger) I noticed Helena's striking red hair as she walked along towards Carnaby Street with her boyfriend.

I asked Helena if she would be part of my project and she shyly but happily agreed.

Helena is Spanish but living and working in London. I didn't find out much more about Helena beyond that she loves to travel.

Thank you Helena!

125:200 Strangers - Kayla
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

It was Kayla's striking and colourful lips that I first noticed. I asked Kayla if she would be part of my project and she appeared a little surprised but happily agreed.

Kayla lives and works in London, well up until this afternoon that is, when Kayla informed me that she had just quit her job!

"I have just this afternoon left my job. I was on a probation period which had just ended when I was asked how I think it had gone. I thought its not for me and decided to leave."

I asked Kayla what was next for her? Where does she go from here?

"I wish to teach confidence skills to women through whatever artistic platform I can. I am a make-up artist, and have a youtube channel showing women how to get the best from themselves and their make-up. Its not about me being perfect and look at me. No-one is perfect, we all make mistakes and I will be showing women how to get the best from their products and techniques. The youtube channel is at grass roots level, I have shot one video but not yet published it"

I asked Kayla what is she doing tomorrow, what are her plans for her future?

"Tomorrow I shall wake up, meditate for a while, paint and then I am going out on a street meet with a friend who will be filming me. I am going to go out and meet women on the streets and ask them to confess. Confess what is in their bags, make up wise. Open your bag and let the darkness out!"

"I want to bridge the gap between the public and the artist. I want to offer a public service"

Kayla told me that my stopping her, asking to make her portrait and asking her questions was making her think about her life and causing her to reflect.

"I was speaking with a colleague before leaving work and he said to look forward and don't look back!" Kayla told me.

Kayla also said about it making her think.

"Bitch, you gotta sort your life out!" with the biggest smile and laugh.

Thank you Kayla and best of luck for your future!

I paid a visit to London today to continue shooting for my 100 Strangers project and after about 4 hours without even speaking to a stranger, let alone making their portrait I conceded defeat. I headed for the train but narrowly missed my connection. So I thought I'd give it another go whilst waiting an hour for the next train before heading home. No luck again!
Back to the station to catch my train, only to find it had been delayed!
I was now determined to make at least one stranger portrait to improve the day. Success, I managed to capture two stranger portraits, results are posted below.

126:200 Strangers - Taylah
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

126a:200 Strangers - Taylah
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

#126/200 Strangers - Taylah

Taylah lives and works in London.I noticed how stylish she looked walking along and had to ask her to be part of my project. Taylah wasn't very complimentary about her looks today but happily agreed to my making her portrait.

Taylah lives and works in London. She works in a bar and was on her way to work when I stopped her.

I asked Taylah what makes her happy?

"That's a really difficult question!"

I asked what her ambition in life was?

"I dream of living in Los Angeles."

What would take her there?

"Modelling!"

Taylah's outlook in life.

"Do what makes you happy!"

Thank you Taylah!

127:200 Strangers - Tanya
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

127a:200 Strangers - Tanya
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

127b:200 Strangers - Tanya
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

#127/200 Strangers - Tanya

I noticed Tanya and her husband Alex sitting enjoying a coffee in the sun. On asking if I could make Tanya's portrait, she happily agreed, handed her bag and sunglasses to Alex and we walked to this spot just opposite to where Tanya and Alex had been sitting.

Tanya is from Kyiv, Ukraine where she works as freelance commercial filmmaker.

I asked Tanya what makes her happy?

"Its the small things that life consists of. Alex makes me happy. We were out clubbing last night and that first coffee made me happy!"

I noticed the tattoo on Tanya's forearm, with the quote;

"it will work out somehow - it's a mystery."

Its a quote from the film "Shakespeare In Love" Tanya told me.

Thank you Tanya and Alex

Hi Iain,The headshots are as good as ever but I like the longer shots even more. Perhaps its because I like a bit of variety and the headshots are so alike?

It's becoming difficult to comment on this project as you have the technicalities of the shooting and the processing down to such a fine art, and I've run out of superlatives!

Keep it up! :cow:

Hi Iain,The headshots are as good as ever but I like the longer shots even more. Perhaps its because I like a bit of variety and the headshots are so alike?

It's becoming difficult to comment on this project as you have the technicalities of the shooting and the processing down to such a fine art, and I've run out of superlatives!

Keep it up! :cow:

Thanks Brian (y)
I have found that the chance of taking different poses varies enormously from stranger to stranger.
The headshot is my default pose, capturing that first to have one in the can so to speak, then if stranger/time permits, I will ask them to pose for a longer shot.
Having said that, my portrait of Paulo #106 was a headshot of sorts. At the very least, i wish to include the strangers hands in the shot. I do agree that the headshot are so alike though, hence my wanting to expand on my photographic repertoire.

Thanks again for looking in and commenting Brian :cow:

Agree with the above! All taken on the 50 or a bit wider?

Thanks Shaheed, yes all taken on 50mm. That lens lives on my camera, I wish to have a consistent 'look' throughout the series so have stayed with the 50.

In fact, I lie, I went to my 24-70 for #104 Mansooreh's portrait for some reason :) but for the rest, all 50mm.

As much as I like the 100 Strangers project - it's superb work... and these are just as fantastic, I can't help but think doing it again will just weaken the original 100 Strangers. You've done that project now. It's in danger of becoming too big, unmanageable. Anything published will need editing, and anything exhibited will need even more editing for curatorial reasons. Something that keeps going like this can only really live online, and becomes this kind of rolling, ongoing blog like project.. Like Humans of New York or whatever it's called. Personally I think your work is SO much better than his, so it would be a shame to see such fantastic portraits becoming some kind of emulation of his project - which the 100 was not.

Get 100 Strangers published and seen... and if it gets noticed, which it stands a great chance of doing, build on that with another project.

Get your stuff seen by some of these guys for a start.

http://www.pdnonline.com/features/9-Small-Book-Publish-8755.shtml (other small photo book publishers are available :))

...and have a read of this.

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2010/jun/04/self-publish-photographers-photobooks

You've done it... so why not try and do something with it? It may get nowhere... people may not be interested, but it doesn't matter. Sometimes work needs to mature and wait for the right time, the right social and political environment, and then suddenly work gets picked up on. Then again, for all you know someone may really like it, and decide to give it a go.

Ask yourself this though... will people be interested when its Strangers 400 - 500?

I hope you take this in the spirit it was intended. I'm not criticising the work.

@Pookeyhead
Thank you David, first up, I wholeheartedly took this in the spirit it was intended, no criticism of the work taken :)

I understand fully the point you make about it becoming too big or unmanageable, in that taking it beyond a web based project.
I started the 100 strangers project to shoot more people photography, and its caught my enthusiasm and imagination. The first 100 were all of a certain look, that is head & shoulders shots. This second 100 is, I hope a progression from that in my trying different poses, compositions and ultimately to take my people photography a step forward. Not entirely surprising that reference was made to Humans of New York. I must say, I am not trying to emulate the author Brandon Stanton, in my project but similarities certainly exist.

On the subject of Humans of New York, I feel he is now a victim of his own success. I follow him on Facebook and twitter and can't help but think that his level of interaction and the stories his subjects tell are in no small part down to his fame. In fact there was one young woman in one of his latest shots who said "I wondered if this would ever happen to me." It would appear some citizens are just waiting to be stopped so as they can have their 15 minutes of fame. They are prepared to spill their inner most secrets/stories quite easily.

The interaction/engagement with my 100 strangers is a very important part of the project for me and I certainly haven't found it easy to engage with everyone in my project so far.
It is this interaction which keeps me shooting the project, hence the second round.

You have certainly given me food for thought with your points above. It would pain me to stop this second round now, unfinished but I am certainly going to have a rethink on how I take this forward. I place it in here almost as a blog or just as a place where the photos and biographies can exist. If there isn't interaction with many others in TP within my thread, (and I don't mean to sound arrogant or up myself) it doesn't bother me.

I have quite a few other ideas for projects around people photography, perhaps its now time to get those off the ground. This second round of 100 strangers can tick along in the background until its complete.

Thank you again for those links too.

Back