100 Strangers [Round 3] **Complete** 5th April 2018..

Congratulations on completing another 100 :clap: very well done and many thanks for sharing.

Excellent work throughout, yet again Iain.
I remember saying on your last century, how much I enjoyed looking within, and reading of, your subjects.
As usual, your work is one to which I direct my view to on opening the forum.
Masterful, another superb achievement.

Excellent work throughout, yet again Iain.
I remember saying on your last century, how much I enjoyed looking within, and reading of, your subjects.
As usual, your work is one to which I direct my view to on opening the forum.
Masterful, another superb achievement.

Thanks Paul, such kind comments.

Hi Iain,

I have followed your body of work more than any other on this Planet of TP, I marvel at how easy you seem to make it. I am constantly amazed at the clarity of your work and the stories behind each and every taken picture. This type of project is something I would love to do but sadly lack the confidence to approach people. I have followed your journey meeting the 300 people you have recorded so far, I hope to follow you for a while to come. You Sir are a true “Spartan”. Congratulations on your achievements so far.

Last edited:
Hi Iain,

I have followed your body of work more than any other on this Planet of TP, I marvel at how easy you seen to make it. I am constantly amazed at the clarity of your work and the stories behind each and every taken picture. This type of project is something I would love to do but sadly lack the confidence to approach people. I have followed your journey meeting the 300 people you have recorded so far, I hope to follow you for a while to come. You Sir are a true “Spartan”. Congratulations on your achievements so far.

Thank you Andy, such kind comments!
I have 'parked' the project since I finished my last round of 100.
I will get back to it sometime, for the time being my photography mojo has faded somewhat.

Hi Ian a great project once again superbly executed.
It always makes for a great read and the images are top notch
Late to view as always
ATB Mark

Hi Ian a great project once again superbly executed.
It always makes for a great read and the images are top notch
Late to view as always
ATB Mark

Cheers Mark, I may well start another round of Strangers one of these days.

I know this thread is quite old now but I have a question for you regarding this and your previous 100 Strangers. I am not particularly outgoing when it comes to human contact but I love taking pictures of people but my introversion makes this quite a mentally strenuous thing to do. How do you go about getting these people to pose for you? Do you tell them it's a personal project? Do they look at you as if you are some sort of identity-theft character? Do you get model releases from each of them? How many of your possible subjects decline to be photographed?

You should do a 'sticky' with this sort of information in it (I hope you haven't already done one that I have missed, if you have I apologise) as I'm sure many people would find it interesting.

I know this thread is quite old now but I have a question for you regarding this and your previous 100 Strangers. I am not particularly outgoing when it comes to human contact but I love taking pictures of people but my introversion makes this quite a mentally strenuous thing to do. How do you go about getting these people to pose for you? Do you tell them it's a personal project? Do they look at you as if you are some sort of identity-theft character? Do you get model releases from each of them? How many of your possible subjects decline to be photographed?

You should do a 'sticky' with this sort of information in it (I hope you haven't already done one that I have missed, if you have I apologise) as I'm sure many people would find it interesting.

Hi Martin,
Thanks for looking in to this thread.
In answer to your questions:
It's easy to say but I just ask the person to be part of my project. I introduce myself and tell them I am shooting a street photography project, 100 strangers and would like to make their portrait. I have cards with all my details on it. Telephone number, email address etc. Its a one sided interaction in that respect. Apart from their first name, I ask no personal details. I won't be spamming them or anything more sinister.

I will generally find a background to shoot against and then wait for a suitable stranger to come along. I don't really take note of how many decline but if I were to hazard a guess, over the course of 100, I will maybe get around 20-25 people who decline. I simply thank them for their time and wish them a good day. I don't take it personally.

I don't bother with model releases, it would make the whole interaction clunky for me. For what I do with the images, they aren't necessary anyway. As above, people can remain anonymous and I would never know they have looked at their portrait on my Facebook page if they don't leave a comment or anything. In some way, that appeals to me, it's a moment in time recorded and we move on.

If you like people photography, I would say give it a go. The worst people can say is no. In over 300 portraits of strangers, I have never had a negative reaction. People decline and that is entirely their perogative of course.
Thanks again Martin, I hope this helps.

Helps a lot, thank you very much. If we can all ever get out again I will give it a go and start with perhaps 20 strangers, or even just one would be a good start.

Back