100 years in the blink of an eye

Edit My Images
No
Here's 2 photos that you might find interesting. I spent a long time at this location ensuring the position, angle and focal length were spot on. The light's not right of course, but the tide is reasonably close.

2007 by Andy McInroy
ir285.jpg

c1900 by R.J.Welch
ir285ext.jpg

The boats are long gone but the furrows where the fishing boats were pulled up into are still there and can be seen in the foreground. Notice too how the boulder in the mid-distance has been broken, perhaps chipped off to be used as a building repair.

Andy

I like this knid of thing. I think its amazing. Not sure on the time of day etc but if its the same you can also see a difference in the water level.

I like this knid of thing. I think its amazing. Not sure on the time of day etc but if its the same you can also see a difference in the water level.

errr . . . :thinking: that's a natural feature of the sea, the water level goes up & down with tides, and air pressure too. Tides do not follow a 24hr cycle, timing of air pressure is pretty random. You can add to that some bits of the country are going up and some going down too, slowly but measurable.

The shots are pretty close, even the water level, very impressed

Notice too how the boulder in the mid-distance has been broken, perhaps chipped off to be used as a building repair.

I reckon its probably just erosion, look at the other rocks, and in particular the clifftop in the middle of the shot

Wookie,

I'm not so sure about the stone. That one very large and it just seems to be missing a bit. If it was erosion I would have expected the rock to erode more slowly and uniformly. Also the other rocks have not been affected as much. Even if the rock had split I would have expected to see the other half lying below.

This cove is very isolated. It's miles from any road and requires a very steep descent down the cliff. I suspect the fisherman have just chipped this convenient rock to make a building repair to their cottage which is just 50 yards to the right.

Andy
www.skyandstone.com

Andy - think you have some amazing ideas. I had a look at your 'caves' again when i got home and they, as well as this, are excellent.

:clap:

Great idea, this, and very well executed :)

Very interesting indeed (y)

That one very large and it just seems to be missing a bit. If it was erosion I would have expected the rock to erode more slowly and uniformly. Also the other rocks have not been affected as much.

yes, see your point, its only the right hand side of it that's gone, but erosion can work like that. Freeze thaw processes wedging open any cracks and mineral bands getting washed out until a big lump breaks off. You can see it on the cliffs behind.

Even if the rock had split I would have expected to see the other half lying below.

This cove is very isolated. It's miles from any road and requires a very steep descent down the cliff. I suspect the fisherman have just chipped this convenient rock to make a building repair to their cottage which is just 50 yards to the right.

(y) good theory, whatever method that rock got broken by I bet it came in useful to those locals

whilst your shot is good for many reasons I reckon the lighting on the original version is great, brings out the detail in the cliffs behind with that low right to left sunlight across the face of the cliffs. Makes me wonder how long the original photographer waited there for the light to be "just right" before taking the shot.

Thats excellent, its amazing that these rocks havent eroded much in 100 years?

Indeed dappa,

These headlands are created by volcanic dykes which are very hardwearing. Between the headlands there are a lot of slope failure where the land is being eroded more quickly.

The geology in the causeway area is fascinating and it's well worth walking along the headlands if you ever visit the giant's causeway.

Andy

what a grand idea
#2 wins for me though - the lighting's better

be interested to see if you can re-take when the lighting is similar to the original

several million points for effort tho!(y)

Brilliant, not too much has changed though. I love old photos but its even better when you can compare them to today.

What a great idea, and one you have executed well. I love looking at old / new photos to compare how things have changed over time. Very little seems to have changed in this shot (except the boats).

Its a shame that even more places cant be re-shot. But as times change and people insist on throwing buildings down everywhere, theres fewer everyday.

The photos I've shown so far are part of a wider plan I have to recreate Ireland's old scenic views.

My cave project in the other thread was inspired by a Gallaher's cigarette card of Cathedral Cave which I set out to recreate.

But then I started to collect more cards and now I've got about 400 of them which you can see at the link below

http://www.andymcinroy.com/gallaher

What is amazing is that these photographs were taken by one man (R.J.Welch around 1900). Now photographers all over Ireland are getting involved with this project through the Photography Ireland forum to help recreate as many of these old views as we can.

Andy

Its a shame that even more places cant be re-shot. But as times change and people insist on throwing buildings down everywhere, theres fewer everyday.

Agreed.

And given your avatar, you may be interested in re-shooting some of the shots on here.

Nice idea, thank you.
A shame other areas of coast line loose meters each year nevr mind 100.

Excellent, I really like that!

Eoghan

As above, I like the idea of this, re-taking an old photograph from the same standpoint.

Once again, excelent work there mate.

I'm quite supprised how little its changed in a century.

Keep em coming!

great idea - the meticulous planning worked out. well done. really nice idea :)

I think your on to a winner with the concept of these pictures it's an inspired idea. I like the second image in you r cave thread it is stunning.:clap:

Back