100k views on flickr!

Sounds to me that views on Flickr cannot be relied on and are a farce.

Why do people use Flickr anyway?

Sounds to me that views on Flickr cannot be relied on and are a farce.

Why do people use Flickr anyway?

Relied on for what?

Why do you think people use Flickr? Surely it can't really be that difficult to work out?

Relied on for what?

Why do you think people use Flickr? Surely it can't really be that difficult to work out?

....Relied on as a measure of a photograph's popularity based on number of views which it appears from posts in this thread are false.

Thankyou for your sarcasm and lack of help re my question why do people use Flickr.

I can only speak for myself, but I like it as a source of inspiration for ideas, locations, styles, eq to use (exif), composition, keep up to date with what others are producing & easy way to show off my stuff to a large audience.

I can only speak for myself, but I like it as a source of inspiration for ideas, locations, styles, eq to use (exif), composition, keep up to date with what others are producing & easy way to show off my stuff to a large audience.

....Thanks, Johan.

I really dislike the presentation layout Flickr has for multiple images on a page but I should check to see if there are other layout options.

I find that views have soared over the last six months. I am inclined to think that it is more to do with the changes in Flickr than an improvement in my photography. At this time last year I was approaching my first 100,000 views after joining Flickr at the end of 2009. So three years to reach 100k, now I get over 100k a month. I now need just 25,000 to reach my first million.
I have noticed another change this week. I put some photos up the other day and was surprised the next day to see that the views for them were well down on what I have been getting. One of them had 16 views but had been faved five times. But when I went over and looked on my stats the photo had been viewed about seventy times. The other shots also showed a lot more views than it said in my photostream. All very confusing.

There have definitely been issues with the view counts displayed with photos for the last few days. There has been quite a bit of discussion about it on Flickr itself.

Like you, I had several with many favs but 0 views.

Stats numbers for the same images looked accurate though.

Congratulations....puts my 410000 somewhat in the shade

at the last count mine was over 20k hits but as im not pro now i cant see how many hits all in, can you see how many hits people have had on there flickr ?

nope entering them in groups is key to getting views.

I might add a photo into less than 10 groups weeks after it's been uploaded. Yet they are all fully keyworded. So, I have to disagree. The shots I have that have had more than 20,000 views each are either in no groups or just one group.

Even if it could, why is how popular a photograph is important?
Well one answer is that the more popular a photo is, the more chance it has if appearing in Explore. If it appears in Explore it gets a lot of visibility, and that can lead to business. It certainly has generated sales in my case.

Last edited:
It's clearly not a measure of the image's worth. There are better ways of marketing your work as a professional than using Flickr.

Agree 100%. I just gave you a benefit for having a photo deemed "interesting".

are stats only available to grandfather accounts i.e. now they've done away with pro (why are you paying?) stats no longer exist except for the older accounts. I would assume Flickr probably has more bugs than it already has with its counting system.

I saw your no1 shot this week - amazing :clap:

Now at 502200 views. Cant work explore out at all - it seems very sporadic

It's a popularity algorithm, nothing else. The more views, faves and comments you get on your pic from people with large #s of views, faves and comments themselves (not everyone has same weight), the higher your pic scores. And the top scored are called explore, and recalculated several times a day. That's it.

Can't even check mine as I don't have stats any more. I doubt it's very many though.

They downgraded me from my Pro account (had since 2007) despite updating my card renewal details when asked to.

Even when I contacted them to say I wanted to retain my pro account I got no response.

Last edited:
Back