101 uses for an empty film cannister...

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Right- lets hear how you use yours!

I had a bit of inspiration this morning and put some salad dressing in one I had washed out so that I could have salad for lunch without having pre dressed it leading to wilting.

A bit sad but I am quite pleased with the idea!

Not as important now I don't have an unreliable vehicle but I always used to have a couple of them filled with a hand cleaner like Swarfega.
If I'm away for a single night, I'll fill a couple with the necessaries like shampoo.
To help me save a few quid, I keep £2 coins and store them in Fuji cans. Each holds about £36 IIRC which can add up to paying for a fortnight's car rental on holiday - the other shrapnel 5ps, 2ps and pennies usually pay for a couple of meals there.

I cut mine to size so that they act as spacers on the development reel to stop it from riding up during agitation. Just put it over the spindle in the dev tank so that it goes between the reel and the funnel/lid. I've one cut for 120mm development and one for a single spool of 35mm. Since using it that way I've not had any undeveloped bands on my negs.

7 pints in an hour and 40 minutes.....lightweight. :LOL:

I find they make excellent dustbins for hamsters (a Viz top tip I think)

Andy

Lots of great uses! ;)

Another one from me is 2 taped together and filled with rice for use by my 2 1/2 year old as an improvised shaker.

Film cannisters are ideal for geocaching.

Step 1) Wrap it in tape. Attach a strong magnet or two to the side and hey presto, you have a nice watertight magnetic container for a log book.

Step 2) Sell on ebay for £1-3 per item

Step 3) Profit

Or even simpler, sell your collection of empty film cannisters on ebay for others to make into geocaches:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-35mm...OtherSports&hash=item27c2e4a3bd#ht_826wt_1396

Last edited:
I keep ear plugs in one when travelling to stop them getting crushed.

A friend stands his speakers on them, four of them for each speaker.

They make decent little pin hole cameras.

I'm guilty of the salad dressing container, never tried the speaker stands though :D My Dad used to keep change in them and i use the lids to level my desk at uni :)

I put suncream in them....saves carrying a full bottle of the stuff around if only needed for nose, ears etc
I knew a guy who used to use them as salt/pepper containers for when he went backpacking!

When mixing caffenol, a 35mm canister holds exactky 10g of coffee - enough for one film!

I used to use them as waterproof match containers, for camping and hiking.

Just as a matter of interest, do any films still come in the old aluminium, screw top, canisters? I came across a couple when we were clearing out stuff before we left South Africa a couple of years ago.

Just as a matter of interest, do any films still come in the old aluminium, screw top, canisters? I came across a couple when we were clearing out stuff before we left South Africa a couple of years ago.

Not that I have seen- all plastic pop top jobs now.

The children in our class at school use them to put lunch money in

For storing coffee & sugar in when going to visit my best friend at uni {she's not a coffee drinker}

................... and put some salad dressing in one I had washed out so that I could have salad for lunch without having pre dressed it leading to wilting.......................

similar idea..........but have one full of Maldon Sea Salt in the car

lovely to add to burgers...........:D

I put toothpaste in one when I go travelling/camping. They hold over a month's worth too :)

I put suncream in them....saves carrying a full bottle of the stuff around if only needed for nose, ears etc
I knew a guy who used to use them as salt/pepper containers for when he went backpacking!

You know 2 guy's who did that now...;)

Yep - did that as well :)

I put toothpaste in one when I go travelling/camping. They hold over a month's worth too :)

Three for Three...

Imagine what my Rucsack was like when I went to the alps - all those containers of stuff, and just for good measure a press-pack of Velvia 50... I had little plastic tubs all over the flaming shop!

I can imagine it now...

"Need film! ...no, that's toothpaste. Nope, salt. Nope... pepper... aha!"

The only thing I've used it for so far really is as a shot glass. I usually have a couple of empty ones in my bag though just in case ;)

When I was an Electronics Apprentice I used them as Office bombs.........

1/4 fill pot with paper bits from Hole punch
Carefully give it a good squirt inside from an upside down can of freezer spray
Pop on lid
Give it a good shake in a warm hand

Then throw to victim whilst shouting "CATCH"

:D

*this should only be attempted once trained to a suitable standard ;)

See what the digital users are missing out on! CF card holders are nowhere near as adaptable! ;)

The only thing I've used it for so far really is as a shot glass. I usually have a couple of empty ones in my bag though just in case ;)

I've heard of that. Couple of my friends got stuck in an overnight 'cave' - they're really overhangs - in the Drakensberg for a couple of days because of bad weather. They used an empty film container to measure out tots of whisky to make sure neither of them got more than his fair share!

I used mine to bring back some sea biscuit shells from the Bahamas, perfect size to fit one wrapped in tissue paper.

Other than that, I use them to pose a dangerous hazard around the floor of my flat

I use mine as little feed pots when I'm pole fishing, along with the old-style (two-part) kinder egg cases. I just drill four holes in the base of a film canister, thread pole elastic through so I create to loops on the base of the pot, then slide the end of the pole through so the pot sits on top. It can then be moved to get better grip or when paste fishing, moved so the hook bait is placed inside and there's not too much sag in the rig that could create tangles.

I also used to keep jazz fag ingredients in mine at University, but of course I don't do that any more.....

When I was an Electronics Apprentice I used them as Office bombs.........

1/4 fill pot with paper bits from Hole punch
Carefully give it a good squirt inside from an upside down can of freezer spray
Pop on lid
Give it a good shake in a warm hand

Then throw to victim whilst shouting "CATCH"

:D

*this should only be attempted once trained to a suitable standard ;)

You can do similar but even more messy with bicarbonate of soda and vinegar.

7kW7p.jpg

Work quite well as a lens hood :D

menthel said:
See what the digital users are missing out on! CF card holders are nowhere near as adaptable!

Hahaha ~ undoubtedly.

I use mine as little feed pots when I'm pole fishing, along with the old-style (two-part) kinder egg cases. I just drill four holes in the base of a film canister, thread pole elastic through so I create to loops on the base of the pot, then slide the end of the pole through so the pot sits on top. It can then be moved to get better grip or when paste fishing, moved so the hook bait is placed inside and there's not too much sag in the rig that could create tangles.

I also used to keep jazz fag ingredients in mine at University, but of course I don't do that any more.....

My dad did this too! Haha, reading your description brought back visions of it, vividly.

I keep garden seeds in mine - but this thread has really opened my eyes to other uses :LOL:

I also have one leg of pair of tights in one in the camera bag at all times - great for use as a fog/mist/haze effect filter - double the thickness for a greater effect

Last edited:
I use mine to hold 120 film :thinking:

By adapting the lids, you can use one as a cover for the rubber teet thing on your hydro pack to keep it mud free.

One holds unused S/LR44 batteries, the other one holds the used ones ;)

Cistron said:
One holds unused S/LR44 batteries, the other one holds the used ones ;)

I also keep a load of lr44's in one in my bag. These things are just so versatile!

Back