1. robhooley167

robhooley167 Sir, my fingers are stuck together

Name:
    Rob
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    We've all done it, shot a roll then developed it to find something has gone very badly wrong... We all make mistakes, its a fundamental part of life

Lets see if we can make a list of ways we have ruined rolls, if nothing else it helps us learn from each others mistakes, if not provide a few laughs on the way :LOL:

Here are a few of mine

1) Load a roll of 120 film backwards so you expose the backing paper not the film
    2) Get halfway through a roll of PanF before realising you shot it as ISO 800
    3)Put a film in to dev and then get distracted and forget its developing until you next use the tank
    :banghead:

2. Musicman

Musicman

Name:
    Rob Telford
    Edit My Images:
    No
    An easy one

Open the back of a 35mm camera thinking you've wound the film back. Then discover you hadn't.

Forkbeard likes this.
  3. Alastair

Alastair

Edit My Images:
    No
    4) Forgetting to remove the darkslide (P-back, no interlocks - not strictly a roll affected)
    5) Forgetting your using a camera without interlocks and not remembering to wind on
    6) Forgetting it's a zone focus camera ("it looked in-focus through the viewfinder..")

4. Musicman

Musicman

Name:
    Rob Telford
    Edit My Images:
    No
    when I was about six we were visiting mother's cousin. She'd left her camera out and I picked it up and started playing. Click, click, click.

Turned out said cousin had taken a pic of a spectacular sunset the evening before. The camera had no interlocks and I'd multiple-exposed images of her hallway over the top of her photo. :-/

Touch wood, apart from the one occasion mentioned in my previous post (and a completely blank set from a test with a car boot rangefinder) I don't think I've killed an entire roll.

5. Alastair

Alastair

Edit My Images:
    No
    I've managed to kill three on a roll of 12 this way.. easy to do when you're switching backwards and forwards between cameras.

6. joxby

joxby

Name:
    John
    Edit My Images:
    No
    kill an entire roll ?.......easy

1. use LC29 developer, its nice and clear with no colour.
    2. mix some fixer and leave them next to each other in identical jugs.
    3. let nature take its course

:s

Jao likes this.
  7. robhooley167

robhooley167 Sir, my fingers are stuck together

Name:
    Rob
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    i put a few negs that got dusty back on the reel and washed them in the tank, then left them overnight to dry and returned to find the emulsion in a gooey mess at the bottom of the tank

8. freecom2

freecom2

Edit My Images:
    No
    Not unsalvageable, but from memory the worst I've done is for the first few rolls of B&W I developed myself I completely covered them in fingerprints trying desperately to get them on the Paterson reel. I don't think the damage has been any worse so far, touch wood.

9. Superewza

Superewza

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Can people please use sequential numbers? It's messing with my head :p

7) Decide that since Rollei Retro 80S has 80 in the name it's an ISO 80 film, expose and develop it as such and end up with an almost clear roll of film.

Seriously, does anyone even know what ISO that film is? All i've found out is that it can be anywhere between 25 and 160, although probably further in either direction. I think i've got a roll left too...

10. freecom2

freecom2

Edit My Images:
    No
    ^ it isn't ISO80? Are you positive you didn't have a light leak/developer or fixer problems or exhaustion? Firstcall Photographic's product page for Rollei Retro 80S says ISO80 in the title, and in the description it says expose between ISO32-100. Besides, it's a negative film, so it should have a wide enough exposure range anyway - sounds like you possibly did something wrong IMO.

11. Alan Clogwyn

Alan Clogwyn

Name:
    Richard Alan Jones
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    8) Shoot with an aperture priority camera but use a lens that has no aperture coupling, forcing the camera to meter all shots for f22 when they were almost all the other end...

12. srichards

srichards

Name:
    Suz
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    9) Load roll into camera but be a tight wad and not pull out quite enough so it misses the sprocket. Shoot and process blank roll...

Harlequin565 likes this.
  13. TheBigYin

TheBigYin Staff Member

Name:
    Mark
    Edit My Images:
    No
    10) while multi-tasking - processing a roll of 120 in one Patterson tank and 2 rolls of 35mm in the other. Pitch the 600mm of Dev into the tank containing the 120 film, and the 500mm into the 35mm. Continue the error through all steps of processing, to get two rolls of film developed perfectly, and one roll developed perfectly on one side, and untouched on the other. :bonk:

14. Gandhi

Gandhi

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    11) forget which film you have loaded and promptly process a £3 sheet of Velvia in Black and White chems

15. Gandhi

Gandhi

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    12) As above, Mono film doesnt like being sent away to the labs and being processed as E6. Cost - £2.50 p/sheet

16. Gandhi

Gandhi

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    13) Not concentraing and accidentally inserting the darkslide between the camera back and the film holder, thus letting in light

17. Gandhi

Gandhi

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    14) Removing the filmholder without putting the darkslide back in in

18. Gandhi

Gandhi

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    15) Removing Darkslide before closing the preview shutter on the lens

19. Gandhi

Gandhi

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    16) Opening box of film before realising the darkbag isn't zipped up (fortunately only 6 sheets left out of a box of 50. That would have been a costly mistake otherwise

20. Gandhi

Gandhi

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    17) Putting the darkslide in the wrong way when loading the film, thus assuming the sheet of velvia to be exposed and sending off for processing only to get a blank sheet back

21. Gandhi

Gandhi

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    18) Puitting the Darkslide back in the wrong way and therefore assuming the sheet inside to be "Virgin" and ending up with a tasteful double exposure

22. Gandhi

Gandhi

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The Woes of Large format are many. And at £3 for a sheet of velvia and £2.50 p/sheet processing. Sometimes bloody expensive!

23. raathistle

raathistle

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Loading a sheet of Velvia the wrong way round and ending up with the redest set of green hills ever

I have to agree on the sending B&W fillm away to be processed as well, spending money getting entirely blank sheets of film sent to you isnt fun

24. Superewza

Superewza

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    It's not light leak, since the rolls i developed before and after it came out just fine. Don't think it's developer (R09) and the fix wasn't that old and had only been used once before (i did replace it after, just in case). I thought the quoted dev time of '4 minutes' did sound a bit strange though, but i had nothing else to go on...

25. offline

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    19... I think.

Taking the wrong lid off the developing tank to pour the pre-soak in.

Also, similar to Joxby, blixing before developing... but the bottles were clearly labelled and, *really*, you can't mistake c41 blix for anything. Can you?

26. freecom2

freecom2

Edit My Images:
    No
    Hmm, just saw that time on the Massive Dev chart. 1:50 dilution right? It is possibly off the mark - here's a Rodinal 1:50, quoted as 12mins 30s: http://filmdev.org/recipe/show/6713 (although the ISO is not mentioned). A thread on APUG suggests using similar times to Rollei Retro 100 (which is actually Agfa APX100). All very murky, unfortunately.

27. markosparko1994

markosparko1994

Name:
    mark
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    shoot past the last exposure so the film tears, then take the empty film cartridge out, send it for developing and realise that the exposed film is still on the spool in the camera....Done that once!

28. s162216

s162216

Name:
    Samuel
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    19) Forgetting to disengage the film transport before winding back the film in a Zenit, struggling to wind it back and then it suddenly going very slack...
    Open back and....

One snapped film!

29. walsh

walsh

Name:
    Scott
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Dropping a roll of exposed 120 film while changing it and watching helplessly as it unrolls on the floor.

30. AlanSmithee

AlanSmithee

Name:
    Tuco
    Edit My Images:
    No
    21) Shooting with your new rangefinder camera and forgetting to remove the lens cap.

31. Woodsy

Woodsy POTY Winner 2009

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Haha...

I have all this to look forward to starting Saturday!

32. excalibur2

excalibur2 Loretta

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    ...and there are guys who have sent their film off and it's been ruined :(

33. joecobbs

joecobbs

Name:
    Joe
    Edit My Images:
    No
    22. Devving 120 in 300 ml instead of 500. Three quarters of a perfectly exposed photograph. Did it twice too.

34. TheBigYin

TheBigYin Staff Member

Name:
    Mark
    Edit My Images:
    No
    that was the gist of mine (#10) - tried to develop 2x35mm rolls in a patterson tank with 500ml instead of the required 600ml - one good film, and one neatly developed 3/4 of the way across the film :LOL:

35. excalibur2

excalibur2 Loretta

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    My latest:- forgot how to use my Watson bulk loader properly.................

[​IMG]

36. Carter64

Carter64

Name:
    Mike
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Sometimes this is enough lol

37. Alan Clogwyn

Alan Clogwyn

Name:
    Richard Alan Jones
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
  38. bambam

bambam

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Not strictly my fault - but took pics at a family wedding many years ago; sent them off to Truprint (or something); their van gets stolen!

I finally end up with maybe 1 roll out of about 6 back - all they could salvage from the recovered van.

39. freecom2

freecom2

Edit My Images:
    No
    fantastic catch there! I've ruined many rolls by being the photographer :bonk:

40. retrogamer1990

retrogamer1990

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    No
    23. (?)
    When you've finished a roll of 120, only to secure it wrongly so that the reel is loosely wound = light leaks everywhere