10K race

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
No
So, it's a nice sunny Sunday morning and I am up at 8' O clock.
The Dronfield 10K road race starts at 10.00, I have ages, right.
I have breakfast, shower and get dressed, still one hour to go. I have already established my vantage point and have been waiting for one month to shoot this scene. The scene is me standing at the top of the hill as the heads of the runners poke over the top , as they run up it.
My wife informs me that the runners take a different route and run down the hill first. 09:30 and I set off, as I walk I see a young man in shorts etc. get out of a car ,so I follow him, taking a short cut through an estate that is unfamiliar to me. He is joined by another similarly dressed man and I know I am going in the right direction. As I turn a corner the two men have disappeared, so I take the path I think is the obvious way to go. Having doubled back on myself a few times I saw a sign about two foot by three saying "playing fields this way" cunningly disguised as a sign about two foot by three saying "playing fields this way".
I finally arrive at the said "playing fields" , I ask the car park attendant where the race start is, he points over his shoulder and says "Over there mate". I say "Where, from the pavilion", he says "No from the park over that style on the other side of the rugby pitches". I set off. As I set off a game of rugby breaks out and I have to walk all the way round the pitch, in very muddy conditions. On arrival at the style I climb over it and head for the park, I ask a woman for directions and she tells me the race start point is in front of the shops round the corner. Off I pop. As I am walking round the back of the shops I say, jokingly, to my self that the last thing I want to hear right now is 3,2,1 and their off. I did not hear this, you will be pleased to know. Instead I heard an air horn go off and a big cheer from the crowd.
I looked to my right and saw the runners streaming past a fence, so I made my way over to the fence and got through it only to see the tail enders passing. Quick as a flash I turn on my camera and raise it to my eye. In the viewer I see words, I read them, card full. I go into the menu and try to delete the images only to be told there is no card in the camera. The runners disappear round the bend.
I walked home cursing my bad luck, my lack of planning and my life in general, and blaming my wife for sewing the seeds of doubt in my mind.
When I got home I related my tale of woe to my wife and received no sympathy whatsoever. I looked for my card in my card reader, no, so where was it. I looked everywhere, upstairs, under the settee, nowhere was it to be found. My wife, women say the most stupid things sometimes, said "Maybe it's still in the camera" to prove a point I opened the camera and there it was. Confused as to why the camera lied to me I turned it on to test it, only to find the batteries were flat. I changed batteries for my spare set, never leave home without a spare set of batteries, only to find they were dead as well.
My batteries are now on charge and I have to wait to find out why my camera played up so. I suspect it was because the batteries did not have the power to perform as I wanted them to. Time will tell.
See if you can tell me the moral behind this tale.

Last edited:
The moral of thie story is this 'If it's going to go wrong it will! Then according to the laws of nature this has a cumulative effect on everything else no matter how obscure, that could possibly in any ridiculous way go wrong, causing it to go wrong!'

Glad it wasn't a wedding! :LOL:

i agreed to do some pics for a local gym the other day. turned up and left out the battery tray from MY KIT bag.... DOH. went home. got it. got back. and realised to myself i could have just taken the battery grip off and slotted the battery into the camera! whoops :)

Always carry spare loo paper and a roll of gaffer tape in your car.

Back