11 Metres

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Ok.. the new project is officially off the launch pad. Still a long way to go, but It's begun.

11 metres

Technology inevitably affects social change. From early cave drawings, the printing press, to the internet; our social behaviours reflect the technologies available to us. Perhaps the biggest changes are wrought by the technologies that enable free communication between peoples, which is why social media has had such far reaching and democratising influence over almost every nation on earth, and is instrumental in the notion of the “glocal” – the idea that globalism is reducing everyone, and everywhere to a common level of equality, and bringing about the problems swift social change always does.

35 years doesn’t seem that long ago to some of us, but it truly was a different age here in the UK. We had 3 television channels that closed down at night; home computers were still to arrive as consumer goods, and the telephone was a single use device connected by a cable and shared with the entire household. To communicate, even then, you wrote a letter, or made a telephone call to another tethered, stand-alone device and hope the recipient was “in” to take your call. Free, instant communication was still decades away.

Enter a phenomenon that most now have forgotten: CB Radio. Set against the backdrop of late 70s austerity, the ability to talk to anyone within a 20 mile radius, or if conditions allowed, anywhere in the world was clearly going to attract attention, and after the 1978 film Convoy, that’s precisely what happened.

The internet, instant digital worldwide communication and social media have all but killed the hobby however, and only 4x4 users and farmers use it these days. Even truckers, the very people who caused the national craze in the first instance rarely use it. However, there is a community of people for whom CB radio is very much alive and well, this work takes a look into how they have sustained the hobby and why they still use it today.

mick 3.jpg
Elaine1.jpg
12973586_628105644009072_8131049767831011580_o.jpg

I take it this is what your medium format film mentions have been about?

Apart from taking some stuff for the Poulton & Wyre Railway Society... I've not taken a serious digital image since I bought the Mamyia :)

Digital bores me... mostly.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what mentions you mean. I only started shooting for 11 Metres last weekend.

Got some great stuff lined up... including people who go "Extreme DXing".... Collectors of vintage CB gear.... Collections of "QSL" cards... all kinds of funky stuff.

As usual.. I'm going in deep... LOL. I've already bought a CB radio, installed in the car... getting to know the people on equal terms.. doing what they do. I can't be objective as an outsider.. I can't work like that.

I think these 3 images really do capture how it used to be.
I remember when CB made an appearance in cars as a way of communicating with your friends and contacting random people who were in the area, (i think, if I remember correctly that channel 14 was used for connecting people, then you would pick a different channel to have a conversation with them. I stand corrected though if I'm wrong, it was a long time ago and i was very young).

Is it a coincidence, or does the middle part of the antenna in the first pic look like an old phone handset?

I remember a few old friends in the late 70s who were CB fanatics. They were a bit sad then, putting on American accents.

Sounds an interesting project...
I remember CB radio when I lived in South Africa as a youth(ha, we had some fun with that lol).... your second image reminds me of that.

I remember when CB made an appearance in cars as a way of communicating with your friends and contacting random people who were in the area, (i think, if I remember correctly that channel 14 was used for connecting people, then you would pick a different channel to have a conversation with them. I stand corrected though if I'm wrong, it was a long time ago and i was very young).

Yeah.. the "breaking channel".. LOL

These guys are different.. CB's kind of shifted now. No longer a means of communication, it has changed into a hobby more akin to ham radio... hence the project title 11 metres (the wavelength of 27MHz.... the CB frequency). While they acknowledge they are CBers... they tend to think of themselves as "freebanders"... and DXing (long distance communication) seems to be the reason they do it now.

Last edited:
Is it a coincidence, or does the middle part of the antenna in the first pic look like an old phone handset?

I remember a few old friends in the late 70s who were CB fanatics. They were a bit sad then, putting on American accents.

Co-incidence... Just the mounting bracket where the antenna is mounted on the mast....

Click
2010101119411117321antenna.JPG

Not my pic.... just a random from t'internet :)

Apart from taking some stuff for the Poulton & Wyre Railway Society... I've not taken a serious digital image since I bought the Mamyia :)

Digital bores me... mostly.

And there was me thinking a camera is just a tool.

I'm not sure what mentions you mean. I only started shooting for 11 Metres last weekend.

I just remember a vague mention of having a project in mind to use the Mamiya for.

My one and only experience of CB was travelling up to Loch Lomond in the back of a Land Rover in the middle of the night with a nutcase talking to truckers in a fake American accent. :rolleyes:

Oh, and the Fall song...

Looking forward to more of this. :)

And there was me thinking a camera is just a tool.

It is... which is why they're mostly boring things. There's stuff to DO with film though... so much work to be done to get results that rival the results gotten far to easily with digital.

I just remember a vague mention of having a project in mind to use the Mamiya for.

It may have been this, yes. Stuff like this takes ages to set up.. building the networks... meeting people... getting to know them, and them you. Technically the project started 4 months ago... it's just taken this long to get any photography done. Technically, while CB is legal.. even AM and a mode called SSB now... they aren't using legal equipment, antennas, or power levels, so they were a bit twitchy about me to begin with.

Last edited:
It is... which is why they're mostly boring things. There's stuff to DO with film though... so much work to be done to get results that rival the results gotten far to easily with digital.

I like easy. :D

I know what you mean about getting to know people and getting their confidence. Has the Merfolk project come to a conclusion or is it ongoing?

I like easy. :D

I know what you mean about getting to know people and getting their confidence. Has the Merfolk project come to a conclusion or is it ongoing?

Kind of ongoing... but I can't have more than one thing running at once. I'm leaving it for a bit, and dipping back in when opportunities arise. It's complete enough to exhibit, which I already did at PR1 last year.... so there's no mad deadline to meet any longer.

Brings back some memories. I was a teenager when CB became legal and spent many, many hours talking to people of all ages .

As with all things - GAS kicked in and the short antenna gave way to a 33 foot Sigma 4. Not sure how happy my mum was to have it strapped to her washing line pole :)

I don't know if I should comment here, but this is a fascinating project. And the fact you're shooting it on a Mamiya (which one?) is even better from a personal perspective for me.

1 and 2 make a fantastic introduction and 2, for me, is a standout photo in its own right. It's something I could stare at for ages and see something new every second. 3 not so much, but I might be missing something.

It's a brilliant project and looking forward to more. Maybe I won't sell my MF film camera after all :)

This thread would not have caught my eye where it not for its title.
Not for a moment did I imagine that it would actually be about the activity it conjured up in my mind.
Although by the scale of life, CB only occupied a short space of time, its effect during my teens was far reaching and still throws the occasional curve ball 30 odd years since its heyday.
Recently, last 5 or 6 years or so, I dunno why, recapturing youth who knows but I've collected the same equipment I had all those years ago, made my own antenna, because that's what I learnt to do at the time, set up and rekindled friendships with people who are still using CB who I haven't spoken to or even met since the mid 80's.
Some, I've never met, but their voices, mannerisms and demeanor have stayed with me.
I met my partner on the CB, we talked, we met, we went out, never bothered to get married but we are still together 30 years later.
This is a worthwhile project, the kids will think you're nuts but the CB thing for a lot of people of a certain age is/was every bit the social revolution internet social media is currently.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. YOu may not realise it, but you've been giving crit :) The fact that almost everyone is talking about the subject, and only occasionally talking about the photos means they're doing their job well enough, and gives me enough to know how to proceed. Thanks.

I don't know if I should comment here, but this is a fascinating project. And the fact you're shooting it on a Mamiya (which one?) is even better from a personal perspective for me.

An RZ67

1 and 2 make a fantastic introduction and 2, for me, is a standout photo in its own right. It's something I could stare at for ages and see something new every second. 3 not so much, but I might be missing something.

It's a brilliant project and looking forward to more. Maybe I won't sell my MF film camera after all :)

I feel documentary images, when put together (as they're about telling a story), are like a sentence: Some are the capital letters... some are punctuation marks... some are the vowels.... but like any sentence... you need the un-sexy, functional consonants to tie all that sh1t together. I feel the portraits are the consonants sometimes. I always seem to have to shoot them. People just need to look at the people involved in that look 'em in the eye kind of way only a portrait can give. I'm not happy with the portrait. The van makes a poor background, but the van is so important, not only because they use it as they're home, but their callsigns are on the back (although in typical FP4 style.. the one in blue is far too light). I'll be working with Mick and Elaine again, so it may not stay. Early days yet.

the kids will think you're nuts but the CB thing for a lot of people of a certain age is/was every bit the social revolution internet social media is currently.

LOL... I've discussed the project with my students, and they're intrigued, and you're right... most had no idea what the hell CB was.

Last edited:
CB radio was so late 70's early 80's, I'm surprised to find it still ging. I know people are into ham radio, there's a few regular meets around the uk and you'll often find people parked on the Ridgeway near us with an aerial up.

Sitting on the beach as Weston, talking to people in south wales on the old illegal AM. I think it started dying when they brought in the legal FM, at the time it had much less range.

CB radio was so late 70's early 80's, I'm surprised to find it still ging. I know people are into ham radio, there's a few regular meets around the uk and you'll often find people parked on the Ridgeway near us with an aerial up.

In all likelihood... they're not ham radio operators. That's what I thought. CB has become more like ham radio now for most, as the social aspect has long since gone and moved to pastures new. So what is left is a bunch of people out of time, who love radio, but are too long in the tooth to sit ham radio exams.. or even do not want to... there's a class system in effect here. Ham radio operators hold 11 metre freebanders in low regard, and 11 metre operators think all ham radio operators are elitist snobs. They love radio, but want the casual nature of conversation (along with vernacular speech) that Ham radio frowns upon.

Sitting on the beach as Weston, talking to people in south wales on the old illegal AM. I think it started dying when they brought in the legal FM, at the time it had much less range.

Around my way... that's when it took off. It was big in the 70s and early 80s, but when it was legalised, it became massive. It was relatively popular until the internet as a recall... that would be around the early 90s. The initial craze died down a bit, sure, as the novelty wore off from all the radios bought at Christmas 1981... but it remained a "thing" until around 91 or so... that's when the internet started to raise it's head above the parapet... by the mid 90s it was dead and buried for most people, as it was common, easy and relatively cheap to have an internet connection... albeit a dial up connection back then.

Last edited:
Love these, David and love the project. I look forward to seeing it develop (pun intended).

Got some more shoots lined up... one of them is a "extreme DX trip".... literally serious hill climbing stuff... not sure I'm up to that... sounds pretty hard core and I've never been climbing in my life. Seeking advice on this one. There will be more stuff happening over the coming weeks. I'll post it all in this thread of course.

Got some more shoots lined up... one of them is a "extreme DX trip".... literally serious hill climbing stuff... not sure I'm up to that... sounds pretty hard core and I've never been climbing in my life. Seeking advice on this one. There will be more stuff happening over the coming weeks. I'll post it all in this thread of course.

You can do it :) I carried my RZ67 (and a DX camera) up a mountain last year with a 50mm lens. Took some summit shots and then walked back down again. Only to find, a day or so later, that my photography skills are pretty useless, although the digital shots were marginally more usable...

Oh.... a shot I never put up, as it's really the same as the other one... but with the guy using the radio. Not completely happy with the burning in of the window on the print yet...

All these are just rough prints on resin coated paper. The final project will be printed on double weight fibre based paper... either Ilford Multigrade FB, or Kentmere VC Fibre.

BTW.. any dust spots are on the glass of the scanner... NOT my negatives. It's rare I have to retouch a black and white print... which is good, because when retouching means hours with a small brush and retouching dyes.... you damned well make sure you're negs are clean!

12961350_627755594044077_2771173542341955948_o.jpg

Oh.. and for comparison... here a film scanned version... this is the most the scanner can recover from the highlight area, and bear in mind, this is a Flextight X3.. £20K worth of scanner..

12973098_628107997342170_1980400800628661631_o.jpg

It's not the same neg (although exposure is identical), as this is the one I shall be finally printing, as focus was missed on his face in the first one, but you can see how difficult it is for the film scanner to recover that detail, whereas burning in in the darkroom allows greater control. There is greater shadow detail on the scan though... look at the readout of the radio... Dodging such a small area in the darkroom is tricky and can result in a grey area... will work on various contrast grades next darkroom session. There's around an hours worth of work to get a print like this right though.

I'm not even sure if I prefer the window whited out...

Opinions appreciated please.

Last edited:
You can do it :) I carried my RZ67 (and a DX camera) up a mountain last year with a 50mm lens. Took some summit shots and then walked back down again. Only to find, a day or so later, that my photography skills are pretty useless, although the digital shots were marginally more usable...

I need to know if it's just hiking type stuff... or ropes and piton type stuff. If the latter... sorry.... but sod that! LOL

I'm not even sure if I prefer the window whited out...

Opinions appreciated please.

I can see why you're unsure - i'm torn myself... the print versions shows that it's definitely a "on location" rather than him just being banished to the camper van at the bottom of his garden (kind of like "go to your shed on wheels") - whereas the scan with the white-out window kind of adds to the sense of isolation, with the sole focus of contact being over the ether...

Shoulda shot digital... :D

Maybe the window problem could be met half way, not quite as burned in as the first pic, showing just enough detail to hint at what's outside?

Shoulda shot digital... :D

I wouldn't get the quality I'd get from 6x7 neg with digital, nor would have the materiality and beauty of the final fibre based prints. :) It just doesn't look the same either... the grain structure, the tonality... it's just different.

Maybe the window problem could be met half way, not quite as burned in as the first pic, showing just enough detail to hint at what's outside?

I'll reprint on Wednesday when I'm in the darkroom next.

Last edited:
I agree with Dave above's idea...
Although saying that, the more I look, I think I prefer the first one. I didn't worry too much about the shadow recovery, I can already tell he's using a radio...

I wouldn't get the quality I'd get from 6x7 neg with digital,

By quality, I don't necessarily mean sharpness.... although I'd struggle to beat it, even with the D800E... it's more the "feel" of it... You just can't get the same feel with digital.

Capture.JPG

It's that grain structure, the random nature of it... and the tonality is just different.

Bear in mind this is a scan... you'd need to view the prints to really understand.

Last edited:
1st one for me. It's good to see the detail.

Interesting comparison between scanned and printed.

By quality, I don't necessarily mean sharpness.... although I'd struggle to beat it, even with the D800E... it's more the "feel" of it... You just can't get the same feel with digital.

View attachment 61761

It's that grain structure, the random nature of it... and the tonality is just different.

Bear in mind this is a scan... you'd need to view the prints to really understand.

That's what I love about shooting film. The perfect imperfections of things like the grain. It's a 3 dimensional thing. It feels more real to me. But hey, that's a discussion for another thread I am sure.

I really like the second one with the bright (not blown) window, but then I often let stuff like that happen and don't worry about it too much. It's a great shot.

I do understand the difference between film and digital. But, for me, the allure of film and wet prints is partly nostalgic and mostly a seductive distraction. I want to look at the picture not the grain, the subject is paramount - particularly in documentary pictures. While I am aware of the 'print as object' aspect (a subject in itself!), again for me, photographs are all about information, reproducibility and ease of dissemination. But as Gareth says, this is a discussion for another place!

I'll admit that I have very, very little knowledge of film processing, but this window thing to me(and maybe only me) is one of those situations where too much emphasis is placed on the technicalities and not the overall impact of the image. @Pookeyhead you tell stories with your images and for me that is what this photo does, whether you you can see out of the window or not. May be just look at them side by side and pick one, the one that appeals to you.
Of cause i could just be talking a load of old b****ks.

I'll admit that I have very, very little knowledge of film processing, but this window thing to me(and maybe only me) is one of those situations where too much emphasis is placed on the technicalities and not the overall impact of the image. @Pookeyhead you tell stories with your images and for me that is what this photo does, whether you you can see out of the window or not. May be just look at them side by side and pick one, the one that appeals to you.
Of cause i could just be talking a load of old b****ks.

I agree... the image works equally as well with either so far as I'm concerned, but as I had two versions, there's no harm just getting an opinion. Seems to me that more like the lighter one, which is fine by me as that means just a straight print is required :)

Last edited:
I much prefer the upper of the two shots, it treats the whole tonal range with equal respect, so as to end up with a softness but fullness of tone and detail that is typical of film.
The second one is harsh by comparison with brittle transitions and poorly defined upper middle tones and highlights.

I have always believed that the tonality of medium format more than makes up for any lack of sharpness. especially in areas just out side the point of focus.

^ seconded

apart from anything else, the window scene existed, it was captured by the film, I don't see why you'd seek to exclude it or replace it with a nuclear explosion.

Two new images. Can't decide which.. one obviously has more "impact", but the other seems to do it's job as a documentary image more. I have more of this bloke, but not processed yet.

These are neg scans from the Flextight... can't print until Wednesday.

FP4+ in HC110 (1+47) for 9 mins.

Mamiya RZ... 180mm lens and 50mm lens respectively.

steve1.jpg
steve2.jpg

Last edited:
the "breaking channel was 19 one nine for a copy comeback. used it in my truck til digital came along then a lot of truckers binned them it used to be am radio. the am rigs were way more powerful putting out about 10 watts the digital ones were 2 watts and needed a booster to get any range.hth mike

Last edited:
Back