12 x 8 or A4

Cris_L

Take That's Biggest Fan
Name
Cris
Edit My Images
Yes
Am I right in saying that A4 is 11.7" x 8.3"? Which isnt actually a 3:2 ratio.

So if someone wanted some "A4" prints would you order 12 x 8 or resize to A4.

Wouldnt there be a problem in fitting a 12 x 8 into a frame for A4? :thinking:

cheers

Frames are available in both 12 by 8 and A4, I would print whatever size they wanted.

Many of the popular frame sizes (5 by 7, 8 by 6, 10 by 8 etc) aren't a 3:2 ratio so there's always some cropping for these also, I process all client files to 3:2 ratio proofs and then crop/resize per specific order.

Put it this way- 11.7" and 8.3" is a 3:2 ratio. Simply take the .3 off the 8.3" and add it to the 11.7" to get 12". There you have it, 12" and 8". Simple.
However, you were right about the fact that that photo wouldn't fit into an A4 size frame.

But still, does it take a 9th grader to do your math for you???

Do you really believe that? :shrug:

For your information, if you want to keep the 3:2 ratio and the 11.7" long edge of the image, the short edge of the image will be 7.8". If not, maths has come a long way since I left school!

Welcome to TP.

Put it this way- 11.7" and 8.3" is a 3:2 ratio. Simply take the .3 off the 8.3" and add it to the 11.7" to get 12". There you have it, 12" and 8". Simple.
However, you were right about the fact that that photo wouldn't fit into an A4 size frame.

Ema, this is your first post, so I think we can overlook the unnecessarily rude and brash comment. Please take a moment to look around the forums, familiarise yourself with our rules and then join the community with respect and manners.

Words simply fail me... 9th grade? Is that 4 year olds?

So if someone wanted some "A4" prints would you order 12 x 8 or resize to A4.

I must see things far too simplistic..

If someone wants an A4 print then I sell them an A4 print.. I wouldnt even consider any other size.. why are you?

Am I missing somehting?

Welcome to TP:)

A4 is approx. 11.7" * 8.3" , the ratio of sides for the A series is square root of two:1 (which is why you can cut A4 in half and get A5 which has exactly the same ratio for its sides. The ratio square root of two:1 is approx 1.41:1 or 2.82:2 which is not quite the same as 3:2

Last edited:

Is this just how New Zealanders do maths or do we all have to do it this way now?

Using this logic a hypothetical 8x4 print actually has a ratio of 13:1, as well as 12:2 etc. Who knew?

I really hope that wasn't a serious post

Last edited:
Maybe they have different rulers and calculators in NZ :)

Back