120 Reels

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
I have a couple of Paterson reels and a couple of AP reels and I am struggling with the AP reels - they just wont feed smoothly! Anyone else have any problems?

The AP are easier to start due to that wide entry point but there after they snag every time and they are about to hit the bin. Last night I loaded four films; the Patersons went on in one and the APs snagged on both rolls several times. I am fairly sure that the corner of the leading edge of the film snags on the spokes. I have tried trimming the corners off the film with scissors and that does help a little but they are beginning to wind me up (see what I did there.......?)

Any other reels out there worth a try before I just order a couple more Patersons?

Mark

If they have ball bearings either lever them out or give them a rub with a lead pencil, that may help. TBH I only ever use Jobo reels for this reason they are the best and easiest reels to use IME.

I also find that giving the reels a blast of a min both sides with a hairdryer on warm immediately before loading them really helps. Every time I forget/don't bother to do so I kick myself when it invariably snags.

Paterson auto load reels for me. Never have any trouble with 120 film. Easy to line up at mouth and insert film and then they always rotate the film on easily and smoothly. I have 3 of them to ensure I always have a nice and dry one.

Do Jobos fit on the Paterson spindle? If so I will try a couple.

M
TBH I have no idea, I haven't used Paterson tanks or reels since I nearly lost my sanity back in the 80s.

I'm sure somebody will be along soon who knows.

Jobo reels and Paterson aren't compatible I'm afraid :(

are you loading in a changing bag as i have huge issues loading 120 in a bag yet no issues using a darkroom

Back