120 roll loose - is it ruined?

Edit My Images
Yes
I shot a roll of Superia 400 on my Zeiss Nettar. Never had this problem before, but once I took the roll out I noticed the backing paper was wrapped quite loosely around the spindle... It was taking up the full width of the plates at the ends of the spindle, and when I lifted it out, it was squeezed a bit and the paper spirals sort of overlapped the plates.

This was all done in a reasonably bright room.

So have I ruined it? Or is there enough backing paper that the film won't be anywhere near the top even when this happens?

It depends. If the film and paper layers have become detached from each other it'll be fogged. If it's loose on the spool you may just have isolated fogging. Hope for the latter and keep it in as dark conditions as poss until it's processed.

It does happened on 120 very occasionally. Try to get some tension between the spools as you load the film and advance it positively when you wind on. There could be an issue with the camera but that wouldn't be my first guess, unless it keeps happening.

It's also a common problem with that well known toy camera - the earlier generation holga's needed a bit of the film box wedging below the feeder roll to ensure that there was some tension in the film as it was wound on. Without this tension, you got lose rolls, and occasionally, if the film was squeezed, you'd get fogging...

a bit like this example...

Back