121 Basic Photography Lessons ?

Name
Steve France
Edit My Images
Yes
I should start this with a disclaimer !

I do not consider myself to be a particularly good photographer - that's for other to judge perhaps

However, I am constantly being asked when out an about and at various club meetings about 121 basic courses, I have hunted locally for someone to help without any real success. I find experts in specific genres that are very expensive IMHO.

I am also constantly bugged online and in person to help others find and photograph wildlife here on the Isle of Wight....

All of this leads me to thinking (being on the rundown to retirement) and having too much time - should I consider helping people on a 121 or small group basis ?

Most of the people who ask have equipment but no knowledge of the basics of photography and use 'auto'
They also have no understanding of what I call 'fieldcraft' and often are not seeing wildlife that is all around them !
I also know of several 'good' places for specific wild life, from Sea Eagles to Butterflies ....

What would the collective think of this and what should I charge ?

For pricing you need to factor in overheads such as insurance, tax and whatever local rules and regs apply. Plus traveling and so on. Then add your profit.
I would think there must be others about there doing basic training, there is nearly everywhere these days. Compare your price with them, if you cant undercut them offer more.

For pricing you need to factor in overheads such as insurance, tax and whatever local rules and regs apply. Plus traveling and so on. Then add your profit.
I would think there must be others about there doing basic training, there is nearly everywhere these days. Compare your price with them, if you cant undercut them offer more.

After a bit more thinking, I am not planning on this as a new business (that risks my enjoyment of photography) just a way of helping others to enjoy photography as much as I do !

So simply looking to cover my costs, so £20 per hour or £50 per session if 121 and less for groups, seems sensible to me.

I would get Public Liability and ensure my vehicle is 'Business' use.

Offerings on the Isle of Wight are not that plentiful and are very specific genres which IMHO are very expensive and therefore prohibitive for beginner's

So simply looking to cover my costs, so £20 per hour or £50 per session if 121 and less for groups, seems sensible to me.

I would get Public Liability and ensure my vehicle is 'Business' use.
That’s a business.

The most frustrating thing in business is other people who want to charge ££s but then pretend it’s not a business.

If I cut my neighbours lawn, it’s a favour. If I charge him £20 it’s a business.

I’ve run a couple of workshops that had a pot to cover the costs of models etc. but if I’d added costs for my time; that’s me ‘running a business’.

That’s a business.

The most frustrating thing in business is other people who want to charge ££s but then pretend it’s not a business.

If I cut my neighbours lawn, it’s a favour. If I charge him £20 it’s a business.

I’ve run a couple of workshops that had a pot to cover the costs of models etc. but if I’d added costs for my time; that’s me ‘running a business’.
Perhaps I did not make myself clear, charges would be to cover the costs of hiring a premises, arranging travel etc not to make a profit for my time, that is free !

If when you cut your neighbours lawn it cost you £20 for fuel then charging £20 is not a business ?
When I take friends to a mainland event we share the costs equally that is not a business !

I run my own Computer Business and have done for 20 years plus, however, I also give my time freely to a local charity providing free training and support for Silver Surfers....
I was just thinking of something similar for other photographers ...........

I would suggest you check with your insurance company. Public liablity is fine for some things, taking people out into the countryside where there is an increased risk may not be covered by a standard policy.
In some cases you may also need a qualified first aider and a mountain leadership qualification (and licencing by your local council) There should also be a risk assesment done. Not trying to be a PITA, just dont want you getting sued. These days theres often someone looking for a quick buck.

Back