Edit My Images
Yes

Thanks, that's really helpful.

I really like it, but it's not as 'fishy' as I've seen elsewhere?

I know I've made these threads before, but I've still not found my answer.
Maybe you should go back and re-read them then.

Here's what I said last time:
There are two basic designs, and they produce very different effects.

The first is a circular fisheye. This produces an image which is circular (doh!) and has an angle of view of 180 degrees. Imagine putting the camera on the floor with the lens pointing upwards: your picture will be circular and will have the room's skirting board around the edge of it (and a black border filling the rest of the rectangular image).

The Sigma 4.5mm is the only circular fisheye for crop sensors. The Sigma 8mm is a circular fisheye for full-frame sensors. If you mount the 8mm fisheye on a crop sensor body, you'll see the circular effect but the edges of the circle will be cut off.

The second kind is a diagonal fisheye. Here, the image fills the frame and the angle of view is 180 degrees measured across the diagonal. If you put the camera on the floor with the lens pointing upwards, your picture will be rectangular with the room's skirting board just visible in the corners.

The Canon 15mm and Sigma 15mm are rectangular fisheyes on full-frame. If you mount it on a crop sensor body you'll get some fishiness but not the full 180 degrees (so you won't see the skirting board). The Sigma 10mm is a rectangular fisheye for crop sensors; you could also use the Sigma 8mm and crop the image to achieve the same result. I think the Tokina 10-17mm is a crop sensor rectangular fisheye at the 10mm end, but I'm not sure.

Do you want me to spoon-feed you the answer, or can you work it out from the above?

Here's a crop (1.5x) sensor shot from a Sigma 8mm circular fisheye. At the bottom of the circle are the beach and cliffs at Branscombe and at the top is the sea horizon. I reckon that on a 1.6x crop body the circular image will be just touching the sides of the frame.

2765328195_daa3473eb5_o.jpg

I think if you put the canon 15mm on a crop Body, it wont give the effect you are after Kryptix, Or at least that is how i understand it!
Matt

i like spoons....:|

Just took some shots with my Tokina 10-17mm in my Garden.

17mm
3389043025_39a5b6e2c5.jpg

16mm
3389851262_7b96366c88.jpg

15mm
3389038849_9715030126.jpg

14mm
3389847014_9fa880f8f0.jpg

13mm
3389845060_7079e1c15e.jpg

12mm
3389843430_da2a8e50a3.jpg

11mm
3389841710_afe74950a7.jpg

10mm
3389029267_9a95324224.jpg

Should get the idea.

Maybe you should go back and re-read them then.

Here's what I said last time:

Do you want me to spoon-feed you the answer, or can you work it out from the above?

a tiny bit harsh Stewart..

If you do not want the circle in the frame get the Sigma 10mm Fisheye. If you do go for the 8mm or below. Tokina 10-17 is an option, but not quite as good quality wise compared with the Sigma.

Pretty much it.

Also remember if there are no straight lines in the shot then the fisheye effect will not really be seen (trick of the eye and all that). The shot you have looks like 8mm that has then been cropped.

a tiny bit harsh Stewart..
But only a tiny bit. I put some effort into writing that response and making it as clear as I could. Given that it completely answers the OP's question, I can't for the life of me see why he's started a new thread on the same subject.

But only a tiny bit. I put some effort into writing that response and making it as clear as I could. Given that it completely answers the OP's question, I can't for the life of me see why he's started a new thread on the same subject.

I agree

[edit] Cruel to be kind as they say.

[edit2] I have posted something constructive :) so all should be fine now :p.

indeed, thats why i said only a tiny bit!

But Stewart you didn't write to Canon and get them to make more fish eye lenses so Kryptix can compare.

We all know he won't get a tokina or a sigma but he doesn't appear to like the canon offering.

Wait for canon to make more lenses or bite the bullet and go third party :shrug:

But Stewart you didn't write to Canon and get them to make more fish eye lenses so Kryptix can compare.

We all know he won't get a tokina or a sigma but he doesn't appear to like the canon offering.

Wait for canon to make more lenses or bite the bullet and go third party :shrug:

:D and you are probably right :D

Sorry Kryptix, but you do ask for it ;)

Does look like from his sig that he has a Sigma lens, so he has gone against himself once and bought a 3rd party, worth doing it again I think.

The choices are
Sigma 10mm [See above for the field of view]
Sigam 8mm - has wider field and will have black corners on your crop body but will be fairly fishy.
Tokina 10-17 - [See above for field of view] This was my choice as f2.8 I didn't feel was worth the extra money as your going for a wide field and f2.8 isn't gonna give you that anyway.

thats my .2$

I took a pic at 15mm thats what you'll get off the canon lens.

If you don't like the tokina [obvioulsy you've tried one] then your only choice is to bite the bullet and rent the canon or buy it or get the 8mm sigma.

I want a lens that can do this: http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/6002/col283li8.jpg

I believe it's called a circular fisheye?

What are my opinions for a 450D? I'm not bothered who makes it really.

I know I've made these threads before, but I've still not found my answer. The Tokina 10-17mm doesn't seem to give the affect I'm after...

I'm watching a few Canon 15mm lenses, but can anyone post any pictures taken with them?

What are my options and can you post an example shot please?

Exif says that pic was shot at f1.7

as you want examples the go to http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sigma
scroll down until you see the lens you want, then click on it. it will show you all the examples from their users taken with that lens. if you then click on one of the photos it will also tell you what camera it was taken with.

it may take you a few goes but you should find the combination of camera / lens you are looking for.

great site zaphod.... I want a 10mm so bad...

I'm in love with the 8mm Sigma.

Why does it sometimes have the edges cut off, and sometimes it takes up the full frame, even on the same camera? Can anyone explain it to me? Is it because they've been cropped?
Either (a) it's not the same camera, or (b) it's been cropped, or (c) the user is an idiot and didn't remove the bit of the lens cap that looks like a hood, so they didn't get the full 180-degree image.

If you can point out some specific images where you saw this, I'll be able tell you which of these reasons applies there.

the 4.5mm is designed for the cropped sensors i.e. xxxxD, xxxD and xxD to give a completely circular image with the massive black edges.

ads

So with my 450D, will the 4.5mm be full frame or will it only be a circle with black edges?

Same applies to the 8mm and 10mm please...

I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave previously.....

There are two basic designs, and they produce very different effects.

The first is a circular fisheye. This produces an image which is circular (doh!) and has an angle of view of 180 degrees. Imagine putting the camera on the floor with the lens pointing upwards: your picture will be circular and will have the room's skirting board around the edge of it (and a black border filling the rest of the rectangular image).

The Sigma 4.5mm is the only circular fisheye for crop sensors. The Sigma 8mm is a circular fisheye for full-frame sensors. If you mount the 8mm fisheye on a crop sensor body, you'll see the circular effect but the edges of the circle will be cut off.

The second kind is a diagonal fisheye. Here, the image fills the frame and the angle of view is 180 degrees measured across the diagonal. If you put the camera on the floor with the lens pointing upwards, your picture will be rectangular with the room's skirting board just visible in the corners.

The Canon 15mm and Sigma 15mm are rectangular fisheyes on full-frame. If you mount it on a crop sensor body you'll get some fishiness but not the full 180 degrees (so you won't see the skirting board). The Sigma 10mm is a rectangular fisheye for crop sensors; you could also use the Sigma 8mm and crop the image to achieve the same result. I think the Tokina 10-17mm is a crop sensor rectangular fisheye at the 10mm end, but I'm not sure.

Yes, thanks, what about the 10mm?

10mm wont have the black edges around the outside unless its different from my tokina at 10mm it fills the whole fram on my 40D.

Dude was you dropped on your head as a child or can you just not read ???

its clearly mentioned in StewartR's post.

"The Sigma 10mm is a rectangular fisheye for crop sensors"
and also in he fact that he says
"The Sigma 4.5mm is the only circular fisheye for crop sensors"

they both point to the fact that, no, the 10mm will not give you a circular image on a 1.6x crop sensor

why does everyone seem to be giving kryptix stick :LOL:

Back