126 film cartridge

Name
Guy Boden
Edit My Images
Yes
A bit of a long shot but does anyone have any 126 carrtridge film or an old cartridge - so I can respool with 35mm? An old relation gave me a Kodak Instamatic 32 at the weekend and I'd love to give it a go :)

I know I can buy them from here but at $30 plus shipping for 3 films I'm not sure it's worth it.

I'm happy to cover costs if anyone does have one :D

There is some 126 film available on E-bay, but I don't know how old they are. I think the last manufacturer of this film size stopped production a couple of years ago.

Cheers. Hmmm, didn't seem to come up in a search yeaterday but I can see it now, thanks :) Three bids, £5.50 with 5 days to go ... :LOL:

Thanks ujj but he doesn't have any. One on ebay at £10 with 3 days to go :eek: I'll keep a look out :)

You can't re-spool 126 carts. Although the film is the same size as 35mm it's not the same. The film is on a thinner base, and has a backing paper. Also each frame has a locating notch punched into the film, which locates with a sensing lever in the camera.

There's a link on Frugal Photographer which suggests you can. The winding mech on the Instamatic seems to wind on without any film, so I'm guessing that's OK :shrug: I like to experiment and I'm not too bothered if it doesn't work out. Thought it might be a bit of fun if anyone found an old cart I could try.

Yes the camera will wind on without any film as it's just "freewheeling" . There is a small pin that protrudes from the camera body into the cart and this engages in a small notch cut into the film. This "locks' the winding mechanism. This is how the camera detects the film is in the correct position for the next frame. Remember you've loads of sprocket holes in 35mm film which may give problems with this mechanism.

Both the camera and 126 cart have a window in them to show the frame no. You'll have to tap over the cart window else it'll fog the film. The film backing paper stopped this happening but you don't have this with 35mm film.

Getting into the 126 cartridge may be a problem as they were produced in two halves , the film was then loaded and the two halves were ultrasonically welded together. Splitting them and keeping them usefull for reuse may be difficult

I do have 126 film cartridges with semi used film in but I wouldn't bother just wait for a misplet lot on ebay or buy an old instamatic with loaded film for a couple of quid on ebay and nic the film.

Back