128GB CF Flash Card - Good Buy or What?

how would you use it

Last edited:
Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Assuming it's for image files, I personally don't use more than 8 and 16 GB CF cards, and even then I don't fill them up, but rather swap them out at certain points throughout the day. So for examples I might have 60GB worth of images from a wedding, but they'll be spread over 8 different 8 and 16GB memory cards. Now, if it's going to be used as a second back up card if your camera has two slots then that's a different story but it's second hand and you just don't know what's happened to it in the past.

:plus1:

128GB is (for me) an awfully big omelette if it packs up when full. Maybe as an extra layer of backup but beware.

I wouldn't be filling it up, was more impressed with the write speed. Bought a 32 GB Scandisc with a 90 m/s write speed for a lot more than this.

Might find that SanDisks are better...

TBH, I've never heard of Axtremex and having had a (much smaller!) CF card fail in the past, I now only use cards that I trust and (so far) that means SanDisk. Had a look for the Axtremex cards online to see what any reviews were like and couldn't see any - Amazon used to list them but they seem to be no longer available from there, I wonder if there's a reason for that? Write speed may be attractive but can your camera take advantage of it?

My camera is 5D Mk3. I know what you mean by trusted brands, but hoping someone had experience of these and could offer an opinion. Probably best to leave them alone, as 128 MB @ 90 mb write speed for £84 SH, may be just too good.

Lol you followed my thinking from seeing them to concluding it seems too good to be true, also sticking with sandisk/lexar.

Have you considered Transcend? I was also looking at 128GB cards as well but they dont match my budge, sadly.

eggs n basket comes to mind

Yes. It's so much easier to try to juggle several baskets of eggs rather than carry your eggs around in one, secure, basket. NOT!

In 15 years I've never had a CF card fail in camera. I have, however, lost a card when I put it somewhere 'safe' and I've seen a friend turn funny colours as she realised the card she'd just formatted was full of images she'd just shot.

One big card is hard to lose - I'd have to lose the camera. One big card gets formatted when it gets put back in the camera.

Shooting RAW I tend to prefer relatively large cards as I find a 8GB or 16GB I can fill up relatively quickly (even on my 7D), not sure I'd go as large as 128GB though unless I was shooting a lot of HD video...

Yes. It's so much easier to try to juggle several baskets of eggs rather than carry your eggs around in one, secure, basket. NOT!

In 15 years I've never had a CF card fail in camera. I have, however, lost a card when I put it somewhere 'safe' and I've seen a friend turn funny colours as she realised the card she'd just formatted was full of images she'd just shot.

One big card is hard to lose - I'd have to lose the camera. One big card gets formatted when it gets put back in the camera.

i must admit i still have an IBM 340mb microdrive from 1999 along with it's dedicated pcmcia adapter that still working fine but cards do fail and the cheaper no name or lesser known names are more prone to failing hence the reason why a lot of people stick to the likes of sandisk etc..

the card in the OP is a relatively unknown card which is discontinued
the question is would you trust it and my answer is no hence the eggs n basket reply because a card of that size there's a good chance it's the only card that is used on the day so to speak

i too have been using CF cards since the 90's and i have had cheap cards glitch ( transcend is one that comes to mind ) but the main manufactured cards iv'e used like sandisk , kingston and lexar have been fine but even so if the worst happened 128gb is a lot of photos or video to lose

Back