14th Century Church, Nunney

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
We went for a few days away to Somerset, and found this lovely church at Nunney. The weather was rubbish, which is a shame as I would of liked to capture this in better weather..I tried to enhance/improve the colours but it just looked artificial (probably more due to my lack of PS skills), so if anyone wants a go, be my guest! I do like the way I have managed to frame it though, which is a bit of a step forward for me in a small way!

Church.jpg

Sam,
Good capture, but the framing needs more thought. The "bleed" of the leaves onto the tower are uncomfortable for the eye.

Thank you both.

Johnny - Can you explain what you mean by 'bleed'...I am still relatively new to photography and not familiar with some terms? Thanks

I can see what you're trying to do, but I don't think it's quite there. First off, I'm going to make a couple of comments that contradict each other so please bear with me..

Your point of view is very low in relation to the church, this creates the rather looking-down-his-nose perspective of the tower as it stretches away. It's much better to shoot architecture straight on with the camera perfectly level. This isn't always convenient when the subject is mostly above you.

The point of view is suffering from 5'6"-sydrome - it's very common and caused by only shooting from standing height eye level. The lead-in/convergence line of the path that could draw the eye to the church door has a minimal presence in the shot. Lowering the camera would have brought the path into the shot with a wider presence at the bottom f the shot and a more prominent leading convergence. It would also have brough the base of the clipped yew on the right and the base of the prominent gravestone on the left into the shot without awkwardly truncating them.

These two observations are mutually exclusive, sometimes you have to choose one option over another and sometimes one or other is excluded by circumstance.

Having said the above, the exposures is good for a relatively dull day. You've used the goliage of the trees to useful effect in framing the top of the image and de-emphasising the grey sky.

Keep on going, there's a lot of positive in this shot with plenty of room to learn more (y)

Last edited:
I too like the way you've used the leaves to frame the tower and disquise what would otherwise be a flat dull sky.

Thank you both. Due to the location, I had to make a choice over framing or lead-in lines. The path leads to a set of steps directly into one of the main roads in the village so I had to pick my moment carefully! Lol! I was crouched as low as I could get but maybe I should always keep a plastic bag on me so I can get right on the ground without getting soaked....

Thank you for the helpful crit.....i am just pleased I have taken a step forward as I tend to avoid shots of buildings as I am really rubbish at them.

Back