17-85mm Vs 28-75mm

Edit My Images
Yes
I got a Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens along with my 40D. I have a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 SP Di (Canon AF) which I used on my old camera 300D, I'm considering selling one of these lenses as I don't think I need both.
As far as sharpness goes I don't think theres much between the two but the 17-85 gives me the wide angle + IS, I am thinking perhaps that is the one to keep.

If you were selling only one of these two lenses which would you let go. Can't quite afford L glass quite yet.

It doesn't really matter which one I would sell. My needs and preferences are unlikely to be the same as yours, since my choice of subjects is unlikely to be the same as yours.

For example, I would find it very hard to have nothing wider than 28mm, since I like photographing landscapes. But you might not care about that if you're more of an indoors type.

On the other hand, I'm not fussed about f/2.8 because I don't tend to shoot moving things in low light. (IS is fine for stationary things in low light.) But if you shoot indoor sports, say, then IS isn't much use to you.

See where I'm going with this? What really matters is what you photograph, not what I think.

I have the 17-85IS and I find it very soft. The results Ive got from it have never been that great (could be Im crap at taking pictures of course :D) - but I do get excellent (by that I mean sharp) results from my other lenses. Its the lens I most want to replace to be honest, but Ive yet to find a replacement that covers the same range AND is within my budget!

I like the range of this lens and the IS is a great feature, but its certainly not my favourite. If your Tamron produces similar quality images, then I see no need to keep this lens as well though - the wide angle and the IS of the 17-85 would swing it as the one to keep - although if IQ was considerably better, Id ditch the 17-85 in favour of the Tamron.

Ive heard good things about the Sigma 17-70 and its very favourably priced - maybe ditch both and consider this one! Its one I keep seriously thinking about!

Back