18-55 lens fault - choices?

Name
Tracey
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone and happy new year!

I keep getting a repeating error when trying to use my 18-55 lens on my Canon 50d, other lenses work fine so I know its the lens not the camera and in fairness it's been used for a long time. Just wondering if I should replace it with like for like or if there is a better 'all round' lens, reasonably priced, that I could replace it with.

Any suggestions please?

The error said contacts damaged though I have no idea how this could have happened and yes I have tried cleaning them.

It's not so much damage as contacts getting dirty or a bit corroded if the lens isn't stored properly.

If it continues to not work, you have 2 options, get it serviced, elstree or buying a new lens.

Last edited:
It's not so much damage as contacts getting dirty or a bit corroded if the lens isn't stored properly.

If it continues to not work, you have 2 options, get it serviced, elstree or buying a new lens.

Thanks, but what I actually meant was is there a better all round lens than an 18-55 kit lens. I shoot a lot of rugby so use my 55-250 and 75-300 in the main but for a general lens to have in my bag all the time, ready for any occasion, is there a good all rounder?

How much are you willing to spend?
The 15-85 is a great all-rounder for a crop body though not cheap.
If your budget can't stretch to a 15-85 then a 17-85 would be another option, especially as they're quite cheap now, just be aware that they sometimes suffer from a broken ribbon cable to the aperture unit which also throws up an error.
Not the greatest of lenses but it's a perfectly good walkabout with a decent zoom range and very quick, silent focusing.
Sounds like the 18-55 is a goner, no point in getting it repaired so I'd just ebay it as spares or repairs and take whatever you can get.

Short answer YES assuming you mean a replacement with a similar focal length as you kit lens, you could look at the tamron 17-50mm f2.8, more expensive canon 17-55mm f2.8 or 15-85mm or there's the sigma 17-50mm as another alternative. Depends what you want to pay, whether its used or new, but have a look in the for sale section or mpb photographic etc to get an idea of used prices

Any thoughts on Tamron 18-200mm?

Why would you want that, super/hyperzooms promise much and deliver very little. You already have 2 lenses that almost do the same thing, ie 55-250 and 70-300, you really just need a replacement for your 18-55

Error could possibly have something to do with the internal flex cable/aperture mechanism. Try shooting in manual mode at maximum aperture to see. If it works, it's the flex cable.

Alternatives (the following is ALL for crop-sensor only)

Tamron 17-50 f2.8 is a bit wider, one stop faster, and sharper than the 18-55. The non-VC version is thought of as sharper than the VC version.
I suppose Sigma is comparable but I have no experience with it.

Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8 is the Canon option of the above lens but is at least twice the price which is actually more expensive than the 17-40 f4 lens.

Canon EF-S 17-85mm f4 is another option. I think it should be better than the 18-55. I'm not sure it stands out brilliantly as I think the biggest advnantage is the wider and narrower angles of view. I do not personally think (personal opinion) that it is much sharper than the 18-55. The wide angle probably vignettes a bit? Ask google.

Canon EF-S 15-85mm I have no knowledge regarding this lens but it sure is wider.

I do not recommend any superzooms; greater vignetting and distortion at any angle. The Tamron 18-200 is infamous for a common aperture failure.
I do use Canon's own 18-135mm and have no complaints about it but I've also only used as a walkaround in photos that I have not taken very seriously so haven't thought of looking at its drawbacks.

2.8 ARe really nice, bu heavy and expensive.... dyxum will have lots of user reviews on tamron and sigma offerings

Back