18-55mm kit lens, with extensions, kit lens+10 close up filter comparison

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought I would give my 10 pence worth of comparing
Kit Lens at max zoom on a small object
Kit Lens + Extensions on small object
Kit Lens + 10 Close Up Filter on small object.

Of course, a dedicate Macro Lens is going to be better, especially if its a good quality build.

This comparison is for people wanting to get into macro, like myself. The cost of the tubes and filter was under £15 so well worth the comparison if I can get some decent shots without burning a hole in my pocket.

The first pic, I performed with extension tubes, as a test, on a dead fly. Exciting I know, but hey, it didnt move ;)

Getting up close and personal was, well, an amazing experience. Now a new and exciting world of macro photography is opened up to me. I dont know what sort of results Im going to get on a Tamron 70-300mm but I will post that as a different thread in the future.

TEST PIC
IMG_7082.jpg

Excuse the cheap watch, it had lots of detail so I thought I would use that as a test subject.

Kit Lens, on its own, max zoom and as near as I can get in there.
IMG_7088.jpg

IMG_7098.jpg

With Extension tubes (all 3), please excuse lighting, i dont have a macro ring and the on-board flash blows everything out at this distance. But take note of the detail. LOTS of it :)

IMG_7090.jpg

IMG_7100.jpg

Close Up + 10 Filter
Its pretty close, and quite clear.

IMG_7103.jpg

Close+10 filter, cheapo from ebay for £4.00
Extension Tubes, £10 ebay cheapo.

Extension tubes win it for me, closer plus only one piece of glass.

Im now waiting to get some good light tomorrow and start getting some macros. I will have to use my tripod so I can get some slower shutterspeeds on inanimate objects.

Wonder what the tubes would be like with the 50mm f/1.8? Can get the extra light in there, plus the extra sharpness.

May have to partake!

I was thinking that Leigh, the 50mm is an inexpensive lens, though a user called Tacey is using it, she has some <stunning> macros from a 50mm and ext tubes.

Tried it on the tamron, just cant get a clean focus, close enough. I guess for macros the lower the mm the better?

Hope stacey doesnt mind me posting her deviantart link here, but you can see what you can get with the 50mm and tubes :)

http://taceyn.deviantart.com/gallery/

Hi Carl.
I posted a comparison a few months ago, using a Nikon 105, then with a close up filter, then with a reversed 50mm attached to the front of the 105.
Thought you might find it interesting as another way of getting closer.
The link to the thread is here :

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=388186

It is great fun trying out different ways to get closer !

The good thing about using a reversed lens on the front of (any) lens is that you set the aperture on the reversed lens to max (wide open) and then you can still have full control over your exposure with the lens attached to your camera.
As I said in the link, the reversed lens I used was a Nikon 50mm f1.8 ais, manual focus. Any old lens will do, but an old 50mm will cost little, and it's a good lens optically.
As you know, manual focus 50mm lenses can be found on the bay for around £20 - £30, so not a lot more than a set of tubes, with none of the light falloff.

ahhhhh. im going to look now! :D

ive been looking at the £80 ones, by canon themselves and i think they have auto focus, but to be honest, i dont use auto focus anymore but if the manual are £30, thats worth it :) cheers again Gary!

Back