18mm 'Portrait' Lens

Edit My Images
Yes
As part of my relaxed style of photographing kids in my wee studio, I started adding in a 'fun' shot just to see if it'd make parents smile - I never thought they'd buy them

What's seems to have happened though is that this sort of shot is becoming a signature of mine, and people (referrals) are actually asking for it now

This is one of those 'breaking the rules' moments where convention says portraits need a 70-90mm (35mm equivalent), but this distortion is pure humour and I think reflects the joyful nature of childhood more

What's amusing too is in context of the 'How much space do you need for a studio?' type queries that keep cropping up here, well this shot is taken from about 20 inches away with an 18mm lens - how much less space can you imagine :LOL:

Here's an example from the other day... oh, and this is not a final version, just a rough proof for the client to consider the style, so don't be too harsh - forget that, be as harsh as you want! (y)

18mm_portrait.jpg

Have to say I really like it Dave! What lens is that taken with? do you have any more examples?
Cheers!
WB

I like it :)

I was messing about at 17mm last night, on a full frame body thats just too wide for close up :eek:

WOW - that is actually... excellent Dave :) The pose actually seems to suit this young model very well in my opinion.

I guess you have used a quality 18mm lens though yeah as there seems to be minimal (if any) distortion. Yes the face is out of proportion as expected, but the effect does exactly as you allude to and I'd say you will have yet another satisfied client there Dave. As ever for your excellent work; (y)

I may have a go with my 11-22mm

I like it! :)

Exactly what we were talking about yesterday with ignoring commonly accepted studio doctrine.

Do what you feel like doing if you think it works. :D

What lens is that taken with? do you have any more examples?
Cheers!
WB

Missed that first bit mate, soz - it's the standard Nikon 18-70mm all taken at f9

Not an expensive lens by any means, but when you can count the eyelashes on a 30"x40" canvas print - why pay more?

2 more examples posted just for you too :)

:D

thems good imho mate but then i think you know my thoughts

nice to see some out the box shots as you say ..

(y) thanks for sharing..

dave(y)

This sort of stuff is why I was suggesting you go with the 24-105 m8 rather than anything longer for your studio - you have more than enough space there to do these yourself

So go on then, get that lovely daughter of yours out and lets see a shot or two close up

I like the 18mm look too :)
It looks like the lad in the first picture is climbing out of a white hole.
Keep mentioning the merits of the 24/105 please as I am <this> close to purchasing it as my walk around lens. I do have a nice sharp copy of the kit lens and a 135 f/2.8 prime and think the 24/105 would fill the hole nicely :)

Oh nice - client of above kids just left me a message saying they'd received their DVD today, and mum's cried every time she's watched it. Used words like 'fantastic' and 'best money ever spent'

Nice to be appreciated eh!

(y)

thats good to hear mate.. :clap:

one day .. one day ..

dave(y)

excellent shots and congrats on making the parents very happy

Back