1960 camera catalogue

Name
Allan
Edit My Images
No
Look at this for a range of 1960's cameras. Theres some wonderful stuff........

Allan

Those were the days - the days when you could pick up and use any camera without a 2" thick instruction book and a degree in computing:) There was some awful rubbish about then though, for example the Ilford Sportsman, the Argos, the Corfield 66 and the infamous Zoomar lens.

That catalogue reminds me a bit of the Wallace Heaton Blue Book, I was working for them at the time.

There seems to be a lot of Bolex on the early pages.:D

Andy

I was just thinking how much the appearance of cameras had changed. Then I got to the Leica page.

I like the description of the ZEISS IKONETTE
An ideal 35mm camera for women. Simplified model made of plastic material with bright viewfinder. Single operating lever which transports film, cocks shutter and also releases it

They wouldn't get away with that now!

Allan

It may just be the benefit of hindsight, but perhaps 'Bolex' (page 3) was not the best name for a company. It might explain why it's not still around today.

Too right, $1 in 1960 was worth the equivalent of $7.29 in 2009, so the Nikon Automatic 35mm reflex at $329 would be the equivalent of about $2380 today. Actually, i can only get the equivalent to 2009, so you could probably add a few dollars more.

Allan

Those were the days - the days when you could pick up and use any camera without a 2" thick instruction book and a degree in computing:) There was some awful rubbish about then though, for example the Ilford Sportsman, the Argos, the Corfield 66 and the infamous Zoomar lens.

That catalogue reminds me a bit of the Wallace Heaton Blue Book, I was working for them at the time.

I wouldn't have said that the Ilford Sportsman was a rubbish camera. I have the very basic model with the Vario 3 speed shutter and used sympathetically it can turn out decent pictures. The top of the range model (Sportsman Manumatic) had a Rodenstock f2.8 lens and a shutter speeded to 1/500th, costing £44-7-1 in 1963, equivelant to around £640 today.

I have a couple of the Blue Books (1962/63 and 1967/68), they are fascinating.

Too right, $1 in 1960 was worth the equivalent of $7.29 in 2009, so the Nikon Automatic 35mm reflex at $329 would be the equivalent of about $2380 today. Actually, i can only get the equivalent to 2009, so you could probably add a few dollars more.

Allan

HuH!

Erm didn't know a Kent $ existed, do I need a passport to go there :LOL:

It was the American camera ad that showed the $ prices. No, we are still using sterling here in Whitstable and passports aren't required, yet. But if you go a bit further east in into Thanet,( known as The Island) I believe you need inoculations, a bail bond and an interpreter!
Oops
Allan

I have one from page 18. The Bell & Howell Electric Eye 127. My very first hand-me-down camera when I was very young. I still have some BW prints from that camera.

I have one from page 18. The Bell & Howell Electric Eye 127. My very first hand-me-down camera when I was very young. I still have some BW prints from that camera.

nice...i remember my first flash gun

had sort of a segmented reflector which folded [splayed?] out like a fan

when the blue flash bulb went off, everybody was blinded for 10secs...:LOL:

It was the American camera ad that showed the $ prices. No, we are still using sterling here in Whitstable and passports aren't required, yet. But if you go a bit further east in into Thanet,( known as The Island) I believe you need inoculations, a bail bond and an interpreter!
Oops
Allan

I'm glad about the passport thing as me and t'family will be visiting the fair town in august after coming back from France. We will have passports with us though, just in case. :)

Tuco, that is an excellent sht of the bell + howell. :clap:

Cheers

Andy

Right, despite having no room for any more cameras I have some serious collecting to do, I only have the 8mm Bolex on page 4 in my collection, it does have its original box and paperwork though :D

I'm glad about the passport thing as me and t'family will be visiting the fair town in august after coming back from France. We will have passports with us though, just in case. :)

Tuco, that is an excellent sht of the bell + howell. :clap:

Cheers

Andy

Ah, you'll be one of them "tourists" then will you? Let me know if you need any tips on lodgings and eating places in the area.

Allan

Cheers mate, we' are ok for lodgings but a few helpful hints on nice (and cheap) places to eat would be a big help.

Andy

Back