1d,5d,7d,50d?

Gary.D

Hoodie
Name
Gary Derbridge
Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking at buying a 3rd body. Which is going to become my main body, and have the 40d and the 400d as backups.

Needs
*Low noise at higher ISO (Could do with it being good at 800)
*Better picture quality then the 40d.
*Possibly higher MP but not that important

Now I am not too fussed how much I spend, although I don't want to splash out for a 1d if the 5d would do the job fine.

So my question is what canon body?

(If you could add your reason I would be grateful)

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Gary

Just a note, some people were wondering what lens I use:

24-70mm f2.8L
70-200mm f2.8L
50mm f1.4

Are you wanting full frame and how are fixed regarding EF / EF-S lenses ?

I have just moved from a 500d to 5D myself. It has very low noise even at high ISOs and better IQ mainly due to it being a FF sensor.

I suppose it really depends on what lenses you have though when looking at the 1D(s) or 5D. EF-S lenses don't fit them so bear that in mind - I assume you know this already though.

If you really want to move to FF, depending on what you shoot FPS may be important too. The 1D(s) is significantly faster than the 5D in this department.

Depends what 1D you are looking at?
I would personally say that if you have a 40D already, maybe go for a 5d or the 1ds mkII depending on your budget. You have the 40D to shoot at higher FPS and could use the 5d or 1Ds for the other low light work. Either that or stump up for a 1DmkIV?

Any camera you get, are you looking at keeping the 400D?

I have just moved from a 500d to 5D myself. It has very low noise even at high ISOs and better IQ mainly due to it being a FF sensor.

I suppose it really depends on what lenses you have though when looking at the 1D(s) or 5D. EF-S lenses don't fit them so bear that in mind - I assume you know this already though.

If you really want to move to FF, depending on what you shoot FPS may be important too. The 1D(s) is significantly faster than the 5D in this department.

I have added the lenses I use mainly onto the original post. I was aware that the EF-S lenses wouldn't fit :)

What sort of ISO can you get away with before the noise is too great, this is meaning before any type of Noise reduction in PS.

I have added the lenses I use mainly onto the original post. I was aware that the EF-S lenses wouldn't fit :)

What sort of ISO can you get away with before the noise is too great, this is meaning before any type of Noise reduction in PS.

Sorry, I thought you would have been aware of the EF-S thing anyway. :)

ISO 800 has very low noise, and even 1600 isn't that bad. It is pretty evident at 3200 (H) though and would require noise reduction. Best comparision I can give you is on the 5D review at on dpreview.com where it is compared to the 1Ds MkII. Click here.

Sorry, I thought you would have been aware of the EF-S thing anyway. :)

ISO 800 has very low noise, and even 1600 isn't that bad. It is pretty evident at 3200 (H) though and would require noise reduction. Best comparision I can give you is on the 5D review at on dpreview.com where it is compared to the 1Ds MkII. Click here.

If I could use 1600 ISO that is great, maybe the 5d is the way forward lol.

And by the way I wasn't having a pop at you about the EF-S :)

Needs
*Low noise at higher ISO (Could do with it being good at 800)
*Better picture quality then the 40d.
*Possibly higher MP but not that important

Im not fussed if it is FF or not as I don't see any huge benefits of FF.

Going FF will give 2 out of 3 of your requirements straight away, IMO FF images just look that bit better than the images from a crop, and Canon FF models are always good in the high ISO stakes.

I just moved from a 40D to a 1D III and would highly recommend it if you need the FPS. If you don't then the 5D would certainly do the job for you, but you would loose out on build quality quite significantly.

Sell the 40D and the 400D and get a 1DmkIII and a 5D, both used? :LOL:

if money isnt an object then surely a 2nd hand 7d or 5dmkII?

i have 2x5d's and a 500d. Even though the 500d is a new body with good iso handling, the 5D is just beautiful...

ditch both your current bodies and get a 5Dmk1 and a 7D. best of both worlds. (I have never used a 7d though, just going on hearsay)

What is it that you shoot though? The change in crop on the 1DIII (1.3?) and 5dII (1) would alter how your lenses feel significantly I suspect.
If you use 200mm at the moment, then you would need a new lens or extender to get the length back

Sell the 40D and the 400D and get a 1DmkIII and a 5D, both used? :LOL:

if money isnt an object then surely a 2nd hand 7d or 5dmkII?

To be honnest, I am not keen at all about buying a second hand body.
Especially something like a 1d or a 5d which has most likely been owned by a pro and used alot.

Last thing I would want is to buy it then something goes wrong!

To be honnest, I am not keen at all about buying a second hand body.
Especially something like a 1d or a 5d which has most likely been owned by a pro and used alot.

Last thing I would want is to buy it then something goes wrong!

Thats why you buy from the lovely guys here, many a bargain to be had :D :LOL:

Back